A Day Off!

Can I just say that taking a break sometimes is the best thing ever?

I haven't posted since Friday because for once I've been enjoying myself too much to unload on my blog. First, it was conference weekend. For the first time in five years, I was able to actually watch it on TV rather than try to listen to it stream on a dial-up internet connection. It was so nice to hear nearly everything, rather than having to wait through periods of "buffering" after each sentence or so. Also, my kids only hung out with me for about fifteen minutes of one session on Sunday. Other than that, they played by themselves through four whole sessions without destroying A SINGLE THING! Now, that may not sound like a big deal to you, but in reality, it was nothing short of a conference miracle for me.

Second, yesterday was my official day off. Terence had rather flippantly offered me some time to myself on Monday or Tuesday, since he had those days off. He was probably thinking I would make a short but sweet trip to the library or something similar. Nope! I took that offer and ran with it! My mom offered to take me to the science center in Phoenix, so I bailed out for the entire day. I was still nice enough to get the kids up and bathed and dressed and ready for school before I left. But then I headed up to my mom's and didn't come back until evening.

The science center was pretty fun. They had all the normal fun little experiments you can do, plus a really cool Narnia exhibit with stuff from CS Lewis and the movies. We also took a break and went to one of the planetarium shows to sit in a comfortable chair in the dark for awhile. I kind of thought I might doze off, but the astronomist doing the show was actually entertaining so I stayed awake and actually learned something about finding the constellations in the AZ sky. Afterwards, we went to lunch and that was also sooooo nice. Just being able to eat and talk without having to jump and down trying to get something for the kids, or scarfing down my food so fast I can't taste it, so we can escape the restaurant before the kids cause a riot.

Of course, by the time you come home from something like this, your kids are so excited to see you! Best part of taking a day off-- when I came home, it was so nice to come home and hug my babies and be ready to take on that full-time job again.

Comments

Popular Posts