Not For the Faint of Heart (Or Stomach)

The last few days have been kind of tough; unfortunately, I managed to come down with one of those colds that makes your throat feel raw and swollen. Yesterday I pulled myself together long enough to clean out the van though. It was really starting to smell awful, and when that happens I know that the kids have dropped some food somewhere that is starting to decay on us. Fortunately, after a string of 95 degree days, it was somewhat cool so the kids got out their bikes, scooters, big wheels, trikes and played out front while I cleaned out the car. (They must have had at least two "vehicles" per child. Our sidewalk looked like a mini-parking lot.) The good news was that I found the decaying food responsible for the smell, but the bad news was that I had to pull out the middle seats in the van to get to it all. I guess my body didn't like the strain much because I had contractions off and on for the rest of the day.

Just to keep my promise to my husband (who insisted that I take it easy), I spent most of the afternoon and evening doing nothing. Well, kind of, as long as "nothing" includes making dinner and doing four loads of laundry. Anyway, the important part of doing nothing was that I pretty much let my kids run wild in the house. I thought I was paying enough attention, but I guess I wasn't because when I walked into my kitchen just before bedtime, I found cooked spaghetti scattered all over the floor (which was not what we had for dinner), a puddle of urine (had to have been B, but she never had wet underwear, so when and how are a mystery), and a huge pile of bedding collected from all three kids' beds. ????

Still, it could have been worse (as I soon found.) We went through the regular bedtime routine, but I only read one story since my voice is so hoarse. After that I left the kids' lights on for some reading time, while I went to take a bath. (I have to lock B and M's door, or who knows what B will get into while I'm trying to relax.) Before I climbed into bed, I went back to turn the kids' lights off, figuring that they would all probably be asleep by now. To my horror, B was still awake. She wears pull-ups to bed at night, and after wetting the pull-up, she had taken it off and pulled the sodden filling to bits and scattered it all over the carpet. Then, I guess she was not finished because I found a nice brown surprise on the carpet in front of her dresser too. She was quite proud of herself, though, because after all this, she had found a clean pair of underwear, dressed herself, and climbed back into bed. I think I about passed out. Why do these things always have to happen just when I am about to go to bed?

Comments

Ashlie Dalton said…
holy cow! how old is brie?? is that what i have to look forward to? i used to have these nightmares (literally), that i would go in to get cole out of bed and he would be standing there holding his diaper with poop smeared on the wall.... i don't even know what i'd do if i found something like that! maybe cry???
Anonymous said…
Oh, Heidi, you make me laugh. I know it's not funny, but it just brings back so many memories of when my kids were little. When my second son, Bob, was about 9 months old, one of my dangle clip earrings came up missing. A lady had made them for me and I loved them. They had about 5 rows of little danglies hanging. Well, about 24 hours later when I was bathing Bob for bed, guess what was in the tub, along with his poop? Yep, you guessed it. I was happy though, I washed it really good and wore it for several more years. ha ha (Money was scarce back then.)
Brooke said…
Those things don't just happen to you right before you go to bed, they seem to happen to YOU every day, throughout the day! Wow, you must be getting some pretty sweet blessings piled up there in heaven for dealing with those ordeals on a daily basis.

Popular Posts