Wait! I Thought Sugar Was Supposed to Give Me Energy!

In some ways, this has been a really long weekend. There was a time in my life when a "long weekend" was something I relished, a chance to have a restful break from work or school. Now, however, a long weekend just means that I seemed to have so much to do and I finish the weekend exhausted instead of well-rested.

Friday I had my regular OB appointment. It was one of my favorites: the glucose tolerance test day. Of course, any time fasting when you're pregnant is a recipe for psychotic behavior. Fortunately, my appointment was early so my family was spared the drama. Yet I made one really dumb mistake. I hadn't eaten all night until I drank the nasty sugar stuff for the test. So what do I do right after my appointment? I bought a box of cherry popovers and ate the whole thing. Like all sixteen of them. Yep. By the time I got home I was about to pass out from the massive sugar rush I had just injected into my body. So did I do anything to help, like eat something healthy? No, of course not! Maybe that's why my weekend seemed so exhausting. It probably took that long just to get my body back on an even keel after that sugar attack.

So my advice is, if you're taking a glucose tolerance test and you're starving afterwards, try a hamburger. Not the bakery section of your local Walmart!

I also thought I'd give you guys a fall weather update, for those of you who are fortunate enough to not live in the desert (or unfortunate, depending on your perspective.) The high today is supposed to be 93 degrees. Still. We are still having summer temperatures, we still have to run the a/c every day, and the kids are still asking to go swimming. M suggested yesterday that fall must be over, and it must be summer again. Summer for Halloween? Barely acceptable. Summer for Thanksgiving? The thought makes me faint. Summer for Christmas????? What is wrong with this world? It can't happen. Not even in the desert. Surely the cooler weather has to arrive soon!

Comments

annie valentine said…
I would die in the desert.

Feel better. I lived off Captain Crunch my entire first pregnancy. Every day was sweet.
Ashlie Dalton said…
eeewwwww i remember that sugar drink. i was sick the rest of the day after i drank it.
i can't believe it's still so hot there!!! Our pool has been closed down since the beginning of September. Is it usually this warm this time of year there?
trublubyu said…
thanks for stopping by my blog. i love meeting new people. come back anytime!
Abby said…
No thank you. Too hot.

After my glucose test I ate most of a pepperoni pizza. So satisfying.

Popular Posts