A Trip Down Memory Lane

A few days ago I came across an opinion by a fellow blogger who feels that posting 3 times a week is the most any sensible person with a life will do. I post almost every day-- I wonder what that makes me? A self-indulgent egocentric who thinks everyone wants to hear her every thought? Or maybe I just don't have a life? Hmmm.

Perhaps I just like to write, and I grasp at any excuse to put off cleaning my house.

Anyway, on to today's main rambling. This morning on my way back from taking M to school I ended up chasing down memories of things Terence and I did back in the golden age of our engagement. It was hard to do-- it really has gotten murky, that life before I had children and experienced true sleep deprivation and memory loss.

Still, I came up with a few things that I hadn't thought of in a long time. Just thinking of them brought back the rush of butterflies into my stomach. It's fun to relive your own courtship days!
Here are three of the memories that brought back that new-in-love feeling:

1. One weekend we drove down to Coronado Island, just for the heck of it. It was chilly-- must have been fall or winter-- and we wrapped up in a sleeping bag Terence had in his truck. I don't remember what we talked about, but there was something magical about sitting on the sand in the moonlight watching the waves crash on the shore. Then we both fell asleep and ended up waking up disoriented sometime around 2 am.

2. On work nights, where we were both going to have to get up early, we often simply hung out on my parents' living room couch. After the first few times, I always changed into my pj's before we did this (a t-shirt & some pants) because inevitably I would fall asleep on Terence and he would carry me back to my bed before he left. (I wasn't a night owl even back then.) You should have heard the scandalized murmurs of my mom's friends when she got me something a little more sexy to wear to bed at my bridal shower and then commented that I needed something to wear to bed that Terence had not yet seen.

3. We took a ballroom dance class together at the local community college that met every Friday night. It was fun, but thank goodness for the partner rotation! We both learned that we actually danced better when we were not partnered together. (This only applied to "real" dancing with steps and particular rhythms, etc. For just normal slow dancing, we fit together well.)

After reliving these moments, I had to ask myself if it honestly wouldn't be more fun to go back and live in that time again. Everything was still exciting and new, and there was so much less responsibility. Then again, I have to think of all the precious memories that I have since we got married . . . I wouldn't miss them for the world, either.

Comments

Ashlie Dalton said…
I always wonder what people think when I update my blog so often (I have even made two posts a day before). I really love to write and bring up things for people to talk about and relate to. Blogging is a journal to me and I absolutely love doing it! Plus how fun is it to keep in touch with people and meet new people through blogging?! I love your blog and your interesting posts, it's been fun getting to know you through your posts.
I really love it when people up-date often too!!! Keep blogging, you are great at it!
Brooke said…
Well, I only check people's blogs a couple times a month, so don't get offended if I don't comment quickly! I do enjoy your style of writing and keeping up on your family news.

Popular Posts