Are You Ready Yet?

And on with the How We Met saga:

The next few weeks were a bit confusing as far as the "relationship status" went. It kind of seemed like I officially had a new boyfriend, but we weren't exactly exclusive. Both of us had dates that had been arranged before all this had ratcheted up a level. (The girl Terence went out with was his second option. He very philosophically comments now that if things hadn't worked out with me, they probably would have done so with her.) As for me, I had a very, very nice guy whose feelings I didn't want to hurt-- and we had a long-planned date to go to an Angels baseball game, so I didn't exactly tell him that I was getting serious with another guy. I'm cruel, I know.

These few weeks were hectically busy for me, but I tried to spend all the time I could with Terence. I had to travel for work and for a flying trip to see some friends in Utah, but Terence picked me up from the airport with flowers in hand.

Oh, flowers are always a nice touch, aren't they? Somebody had taught that boy well.

Terence did try to sneak in the first kiss just about every time we were together, but I kept putting him off. It wasn't that I didn't want to be kissed, or that I was one of those girls saving my lips for marriage. It was just that I had learned something over my dating years, and I didn't want the physical aspect of a relationship clouding everything else. In other words, I saw long-term potential in Terence, and I didn't want to wreck everything by getting my hormones involved right off the bat.

Terence was patient with me. He kept asking me if I was ready for my first kiss yet, and I kept saying no. (At least he was asking.) Instead, we did a lot of hand-holding, and this was what started to clue the other guys in that I was "off-the-market." Poor "Joe" came home from vacation to find Terence and I considered an item by our fellow singles. He immediately boasted to everyone that it didn't take him by surprise because he'd known for months that I intended to hook Terence if I could. (I guess he was really talented at seeing the future to know that I liked Terence before I even knew it. Ah, Joe had to be right about everything.)

Since we were lucky enough to be single adults living in San Diego, a lot of our dates were at the beach. Summer nights were beautiful, and best of all, it was free. One balmy evening we were at the beach again, hanging out on the sand and watching the waves when Terence finally just decided to go for it and kissed me. He defended himself later by insisting that I had told him that I was ready. Yeah, right. Mentally, I was terrified but the chemistry was there, so I can't say I complained! That seemed to seal it for us. We were officially, exclusively a couple.

Comments

The Hatch's said…
I really want to know who this "JOE" character really is.
Heidi said…
You can't think I'd actually name the poor man, since I'm giving a pretty humilitating account of him! If you knew him, trust me, you'd know who I'm talking about.
Anonymous said…
Excellent writing, H. And next....?
Kaycee said…
I finally get to read your blog! I was on vacation.
yay, you finally kissed! I can't believe you could have held out on a kiss. good for you!

Popular Posts