The Slipper Girl

One of my favorite things to read lately are novels that take a fairy tale and recreate it for me. I've read probably a dozen re-told familiar tales in the last couple of years and so many of them have been exquisitely imagined and engrossing to read. And if I stick to the YA or juvenile section of the library for these books, I'm almost guaranteed to be able to avoid all that gunk I don't want in a story (foul language, graphic sex, etc.).

Anyway, I've read several re-tellings of Cinderella now, and I thought I'd share a few with you. Each of these books I found to be very enjoyable escapes from reality, and as a

bonus, they also meet my picky standards.





Princess of Glass by Jessica Day George


Bella at Midnight, by Diane Stanley


Ella Enchanted, by Gail Carson Levine

I do suggest that if you want to read Princess of Glass, you might want to find Princess of the Midnight Ball first. Glass is actually a sequel to Midnight Ball (which is a re-telling of the 12 Dancing Princesses). Poor cursed princesses. They just can't seem to catch a break.

Comments

Lissy said…
The Goose girl is my favorite, but I love Ella Enchanted and several other books by Gail Carson Levine - I'll have to check out the others you mentioned. Yay! Books I haven't read yet! :)
Kaycee said…
I've been wanting to read again like I use to way back when. Thanks for your suggestions, that helps me know what to read when I do.

Popular Posts