Where Much is Given

"For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required" (Luke 12:48).

I've been thinking about this a lot this morning. Since it's November, there are a ton of people out there talking about all the things they are grateful for. On Facebook, a whole crowd of people are posting something they are thankful for every day for the month. I haven't joined in-- though I'm thankful for so many things, I am not a crowd-follower. Probably it's just my pride; I don't want to seem like everyone else. But even though I have silly, immature reasons for refusing to post gratitude snippets on Facebook, I am grateful for all the wonderful blessings God has given me:

My amazing husband.

My four energetic, creative, loving kids.

My snug, spacious house.

My still-running-even-though-it's-paid-off minivan.

My family's good health and freedom from accidents.

The gospel of Jesus Christ in my life and all the benefits that come from
living a life full of faith.

Oh, the list could go on and on. But I do have to wonder . . . with so many terrific blessings in my life, what is then required of me? The Lord couldn't give me so much without expecting something substantial in return.

Normally (as those of you who know me well would attest), this thought would be very overwhelming. I am a perfectionist by nature, and if I'm not doing everything and doing it PERFECTLY, then I feel like a failure. But this morning, it feels differently. Heavenly Father doesn't want me to do "everything"-- He just wants me to put Him first in my life. He wants my heart. And He wants me to love and serve and care for other people around me.

Right now we live in a world where most people are focused on themselves. I'm included in that, even if what I'm doing is stressing about how I am not good enough. What a waste of energy! I think that if I just spend a little more time turning to God, not so I can wail about how awful I am, but to see what He wants me to do for others, maybe that would be a better direction for my life. I might not feel so overwhelmed. Maybe it would be easier to prioritize.

Then perhaps I can truly begin to give back in return for all the wonderful things I have been given.

Comments

kristi said…
What wonderful thoughts Heidi!
Anonymous said…
So VERY WELL put. Amen to everything you said. I'm constantly surprised at how much we think alike.
You are SO on the right track. God bless!
Kaycee said…
really liked your post. I need that reminder.

Popular Posts