Dreams of Making a Difference

So hey, we are all over the place when it comes to whether or not we dreamed of staying home with our kids.

(Yes, I'm finally getting around to commenting on my poll.)

As a young girl, I assumed that one day I'd be a working mom. After all, my mom worked, and you pretty much figure that you'll grow up to be like your parents (at least before you're a teenager and you become determined to never be like your parents). By the time I was in high school, I'd actually gotten pretty snooty about it. I was one of the "smart girls;" staying home with kids was only for the women who weren't gifted enough to take on something more challenging.

(Before any one bristles at that, let me remind you that I am currently a stay-at-home mom by choice!)

I was a product of my environment, I think. All around me, in school and sometimes even in church I heard the message over and over that we girls should make something of our lives, choose an important career and become successful in it. I'm sure it was the ongoing tide of feminism. Don't get me wrong-- I completely believe that women should be able to tackle any dream that they want to, and that we women are just as smart, talented, and capable as men. I also believe that equality in the workplace is a very important, desirable goal.

But.

Why, in the quest of so much equality, did we decide to relegate stay-at-home mom to the status of mere day laborer? A job that no talented woman would waste her time on when she could be somewhere else making a difference in the world? Why did the message have to go out that only women who have a glowing resume full of awards or high-powered job titles are accomplishing something that they can be proud of?

Don't think that message is out there? Well, if you grew up in an environment where the contribution of stay-at-home moms was valued and praised, count yourself lucky. Even my own mother told me once that she was glad to have her career-- it made her feel good about herself.

Obviously I had a change of heart somewhere along the line. I truly feel that it's important that I am the one to raise my children, rather than sticking them in daycare. Fortunately, circumstances (along with some great sacrifices on the part of our whole family) have allowed me to be at home with my kids ever since M was born. But then why do I feel sometimes like I'm worth less as a stay-at-home mom? I can't even read my BYU alumni magazine much anymore; there are too many articles and blips about women who graduated about the same time as me who are directors of foundations or a partners in their law firms or winners of some award or another for some grand achievement. My freshman year roommate is a CPA for some fancy investment firm, as well as a mother of twin boys.

And I'm just Heidi, the stay-at-home mom.

Those pesky demons in my head. I know I'm making a huge difference in the world by making a difference in my children's lives. Plus, no one could accuse me of being a bon-bon eating, soap-opera watching, lazy woman who selfishly spends all the money her husband works hard to earn. (No one except that obnoxious voice in my head.)

Comments

Ashlie Dalton said…
satan at work! you are one of the hardest working mothers i know heidi.

i used to think i would work too. only because i thought i would have to work to help with the bills. but once i had cole i knew there was no way i could leave him with anyone everyday!
probably every mom sometimes has thoughts like that creep in but the truth is that you (and every other stay at home mom) are doing the most worthwhile job out there. sometimes when i see how smart cole is i feel like maybe i've contributed a teeny tiny bit to that... (at least i hope i have). that always makes me feel good. AND the peace of mind in knowing that my children are in the best hands possible, and knowing what has gone on in their lives that day- that no strangers have taken advantage of them, that they have eaten food, etc. gives me a lot of peace of mind.

anyway, i'm sure you know all this and i'm just blah blahing but it's good to be reminded right?! :)
you are so talented. sometimes, ok quite often i'm a bit envious of you and your writings, and books, and triathalons, and everything else.
Vera said…
Send that voice away - you have the best job in the world!! And the sacrifices are worth it - that doesn't mean you shouldn't spend time on your books, writing articles, serving in the church, or just occasionally doing things just for you! They are what keeps us sane. When your kids are older you will look back on these years and wish for a few more days to play with your kids. Working has become a necessity for so many and a choice for some, but families are stronger because of moms who put accolades aside and make a difference at home! Best job I've ever had is stay-at-home Mom!
Lissy said…
I've always wanted to be a mom home with her kids as her number one priority, but I still have feelings of worthlessness like you mentioned, or guilt for not contributing to the monetary side of things even though we could really use it to make it on our own. But I don't really see the point of paying someone I could never trust as well to raise the children I want to raise myself! I don't know if you've seen the new Mormon ads, but a couple of them feature successful artists who are also mothers and seem to have everything going for them. Let's just say the sarcastic tag-line that comes into my mind to describe myself and my life is not so inspiring. I still live with my parents... but right now that's what's enabling me to be at home with my daughter as we try to save to make it out on our own. When I look at the beauties of the world all around me I know I could never paint or sculpt anything more beautiful than what our Heavenly Father has created, and he has entrusted one of His most beautiful creations into my care - a child. Nothing could be more important! I think we can have such a hard time remembering that because they are a part of our everyday lives, and let's face it sometimes they make life pretty tough for us. Different people are able to accomplish different things, some more, some less, but that doesn't make anyone less important. You just do your best with what has been given you and keep trying to do even better. You are just as much our Heavenly Father's beloved child as your kids are - so, I know it's hard, but do try not to beat yourself up!
kristi said…
Every time those questionaires come home from school where you fill out your info and they ask your job I fill out homemaker and then want to write my degrees after it.

Then I get over it, because I so love my boys and it would break my heart to be away from them all day!
Stefanie said…
For the most part I love staying home. In fact the only time I don't like it is at Christmas time and my husband's birthday because I feel like I never get him a true gift. Someday I would like to do work outside the home, but my kids still need me. And I like to think that I make Riley's life easier by staying home too. Just sing that "In the meantime.." song in your head.
I feel like that because I stay home, I should always have a clean house, lovely dinners all the time. I know that I'm doing the Lord's work, I just constanly wonder if I'm doing it well. I read this blog, Diapers and Divinty, and she writes about motherhood. I'll e-mail the link to you. Its a great motivator.
brooke said…
i am particularly grateful for your rant. i also have had these same mindgames in my head, despite the fact that i always planned on and wanted to be a stay-at-home-mom. once i had my children, i thought...geez, i'm not sure i can do this. working outside the home is a much easier escape route to me. raising children (in the way you really want to) is more difficult, emotionally and mentally draining, and just plain patience-building. but it's still what i want. i'm grateful that i can.

i feel ya sister, i feel ya!
Anonymous said…
Wow, you've all said it so well. Not much to add. I think you ARE truly blessed, Heidi, with your beautiful family and many, many talents. Think beautiful thoughts of yourself as you well deserve them. When you're older you'll look back and be very proud.

Popular Posts