Meddling

Lately, I've been wondering if we are going to have some serious trouble with some of the neighbor kids when they get older.

OK, our neighborhood has already had its share of problems with little hoodlums, like most neighborhoods with teenagers. For awhile, we were even a magnet for kids from other neighborhoods. Terence caught some kids out behaving rather suspiciously next to our neighbor's house late one night last year-- they had ridden ATV's down here from a development some 15 miles away. They had heard that this was a good place to "hang out." (And judging by the fact that they were skulking around people's fences past midnight, I can make a few guesses as to what kind of hanging out they were doing, and none of them are very innocent.) It's better than it used to be; less and less of the houses are empty and the cops get called out here far more quickly. Word has probably gotten around that we are not such a great hang out spot anymore.

But about the neighbor kids. They are still too young to be getting into serious mischief, but I see some some things already that make me uneasy. First, they seem to have the run of the neighborhood without any restraint from their parents. That could merely be a sign that their parents are just laid-back and not at all paranoid. Fair enough. But to some of my neighbors it is troubling because the kids don't seem to respect anyone else's property, and their parents seem oblivious about it. Or if they aren't oblivious, they can't control their elementary-aged children, which is even more troubling.

For awhile, I kept all my misgivings to myself because the family is nice enough, and I figured maybe I was just being impatient and judgmental with people raising their kids differently than I would do. But then you start to hear other things out of the blue . . . from girls in my activity days group that these particular kids are horribly mean at school, that they frequently lie and steal. A boy I drive to school is too scared to play on our street because the oldest neighbor boy threatened him with a knife one day. Other neighbors are sick and tired of the minor destruction the kids cause in their yards.

And I wonder what it will be like in five years.

What can I do to help the situation? Is there anything? My girls do play with their girls at times, and they seem to get along well, so possibly we could help by example? But what if my kids just learn stuff I don't want them to?

Part of me wonders, too, if I am worrying about the mote in my neighbor's eye while ignoring the beam in my own. Surely our family has enough things to work on without worrying about other people! But then again, I know that part of what keeps a community nice and safe is people actually caring about more than themselves.

Any thoughts?

Comments

kristi said…
I am having the same feelings. I actually spoke to them when Justin and Bri were out the other day. They were shooting the soft beebee guns and running threw my yard and hiding behind the bushes.
I asked if the pellets hurt when they got hit with them and they said yes. So I asked if they really thought it was nice to be shooting them where the kids were? Then I told them I didnt ever want to see them shooting over here when the kids were out. The parents doen't seem to care at all what they do! And they seem to be friends with a lot of the other parents. We are saving for a swingset so Justin will want to play out back more. Then it wii be front yard for when those kids are in school and back for when they come home or have that pitbull out unleashed!
VKMyers said…
I don't know what to say, but if you get any brilliant ideas, let me know. We have neighbors that allow their kids free reign also. I rarely see the parents outside supervising. They spend almost as much time in our yard as their own or in the street. They also leave their stuff wherever. If we kept all the stuff they have left in our yard, we'd have two new bikes and a scooter. We finally threw away a rake that ended up in our yard 3 or 4 times. But mom and dad don't seem to care much....about anything other than their precious ATVs that they spend all weekend detailing and revving. Weeds all over the yard, a truck that sits on the street between our two houses that hasn't moved since they moved in. Garbage all over. They completely ignore all the HOA rules. I'm pretty sure they are renters, too. I wish we could have just one good neighbor that doesn't move away...
Ashlie Dalton said…
ugh. wish i had some good advice. i don't deal well with those types of things. one day i'll probably be the "mean lady" in the neighborhood who always yells at the other kids. :) good luck!
Kaycee said…
That is a tough one. we've lived in neighborhoods like that before. (as a child)
My parents tried to stop the kids misbehaving, in one way or another, and it never seemed to help. but at the same time you can't let them run a muck. I wish I had advice.

Popular Posts