Wishful Thinking

I love you all, my Facebook friends and family, but . . . I wish I could filter your posts.  Not "you" meaning every single one of you, but yes, during times like these I wish I didn't have to read a gazillion posts about a controversial issue that does nothing but make my head hurt worse.

I don't need to explain my position on the current hot button issue.  (And if you don't automatically know what issue I'm talking about, enjoy the peace!)  I've done it before, on this blog even.  But I know quite well that at this point nobody is rationally looking for more information or being swayed by other people's opinions.  So I'd rather avoid all the confrontation and hard feelings and contention that I'm seeing.

It's similar to the run up before the presidential election.  I DON'T WANT TO READ YOUR POLITICAL DECLARATIONS!  Not because I don't care but because I care too much.  And I have a very diverse group of opinions among my loved ones and friends, and I'd like you to stay my friends.

Some people have a gift for tackling touchy subjects with differing opinions and debating them from all directions and coming away from it all still friends with the opposite party.  I am not one of those people.  Debate makes me edgy, anxious, and depressed.  Yes, it even can make me resentful.  (Possibly I have some issues with pride.)

Some people have been telling me the solution is just to get off Facebook.  That would solve my controversy problem, certainly, but I want to read about what your kids are doing and how your job is going and how you tackled that tough workout and succeeded.  I want to hear about when something sad or difficult is going on in your life so I can support you in any way possible (even if just in prayer).  I want to hear about the new baby or the new girlfriend or the new house.  I don't want to debate with you.

Well, Facebook, how about it?  A filter that screen outs posts with certain keywords would do the trick.  It can't be that hard!

Just wishful thinking.  In the meantime, I'll have to take Terence's advice and just skip reading a lot of posts.

Comments

Popular Posts