A Pastoral Interlude

 For those of you who don't know, a few years back we left the comforts of city living for the wilds of northern Arizona reservation life.  Well, I guess it's been more than a few years now-- M was only two when we moved.  At first thought it's crazy how fast the time has passed-- until I look through the pictures.  Then it really seems a lifetime ago!

M & J-- our house was the one at the top left

I found some old photo CD's of pictures I had taken during these years and had quite a stroll down memory lane taking a look at them.  I only had a cheap film camera back in those days so I don't have as many pictures as I wish, but there are still a few shots that give you an idea of just how "out there" we were.

More playing in the "compound"
(that's what we called the little collection of DPS modular homes)

I had never lived in a rural place before.  Ever.  Really, I was the typical southern California girl.  Going to college in Utah had made me uncomfortable at times because sometimes Provo just seemed too small.  (Thank goodness I went to New York City on my mission!  I felt right at home!)  Anyway, it was a new experience, to put it mildly.  We stayed there for about two and a half years before I just couldn't handle it any longer.

There were things I loved about it (no traffic EVER, how beautiful it could be sometimes, how quiet it was, how amazing the starry night skies were).  There were things I hated about it (an hour from grocery shopping/doctors' offices, some parts of rez culture, the never-ending winters when I felt trapped and isolated).  In the end, with M about to start school and with my postpartum depression nearly getting the better of me, we made the decision to transfer back to "the valley."

M going for her very first bike ride with Daddy.  No cars to worry about here!

Looking at the pictures though, I'm remembering it through very rose colored glasses.  I actually miss it.  There was a certain sense of "getting away from it all" that I just can't seem to find here.  (Granted, that may be more my stage of life than anything.)  Maybe just before Terence retires-- when the kids are done with school-- we can move back and do a stint out in the wilds again!

Comments

Kaycee said…
wow! that was in the middle of nowhere! just a flat desert.

Popular Posts