Writer's Unblock

The writer in me is demanding her time.  Well, that's not exactly right.  The fiction writer in me is demanding her time.  I spent every spare minute I could manage yesterday working on the latest novel, and it's going that way today.  I'm taking a break at the moment because I am getting too close to the time I need to pick up the kids from school, and I nearly forgot about that completely yesterday while I was writing.  I tend to get immersed in the novel's world when I'm on a writing roll.

This book really needs a title, but I'm horrible with titles.  So far it has a working title of "Sheralie" but that's mainly because my working titles tend to be the name of the main character.  (Kind of.  Corizen Rising started out with a working title of "Tiran" because originally the story was going to be completely from her point of view.  It didn't stay that way.  The rest of the family wanted their turn to talk, I guess.  I have another story that has been shelved for awhile with the title "Norwood."  Rather than being someone's first name, it's the last name of one of the central families.)  Anyway, I can't really choose a working title other than a character because I am a pantser when it comes to plotting.  (Pantser is too a word.  They use it all the time on writer blogs.  It means I can't stick to a plot outline to save my life.  I write by the seat of my pants.)

Hmm, I seem to have wandered off topic.  Anyway, the point of my rambling is that when your writing muse is clamoring for attention, it makes it difficult to take care of mundane things like cleaning your house.  Since I have a caboodle full of children, that means that my kids run a little wild.  (When I got home from school yesterday I told them that there were leftovers in the fridge or they could make themselves a peanut butter sandwich.  Have at it, kiddos!  Mom's off to the computer.  I think they all got fed, so that's good . . . .)

The tricky thing is that it is also Easter weekend.  I have kiddos who are clamoring also-- they have specific Eastery things they'd like to do.  Also, my sister is coming into town from California.  We are celebrating some family birthdays.  Plus, I'd had some idea of doing something special on a more spiritual note on Sunday to remind my kids about the true importance of Easter.

But I cannot get this imaginary world and these imaginary people out of my head.

I'll pull it together.  I usually do.  But so far the solution has been to try and stay up late to fit everything in.

If I have huge bags under my eyes on Sunday, now you know why.


Comments

Popular Posts