O Ye of Little Faith

I'm now 18 weeks along in my pregnancy, and today was ultrasound day. Everyone always looks forward to the ultrasound, but in our family it has been an especially hot topic for quite a while. You see, M considers the baby we're expecting "her" baby. Back in April she decided she wanted a baby brother, and so she started praying every night that she could have one. Shortly thereafter, I found out I was pregnant. So naturally, with prayers answered, she has been sure that this is her promised baby brother-to-be.

We have been cautiously trying to prepare her for the possibility that the baby might actually be a girl. I've had numerous conversations with her about how Heavenly Father may choose to send her a sister because that would be better for our family. We've also talked about all the benefits of having another girl, and occasionally M even admitted that maybe a sister wouldn't be so bad. Yet she still adamantly insisted that it was a brother she wanted and had prayed for.

So I anxiously awaited the verdict throughout the ultrasound. Granted, I've had a lot of ultrasounds through my various pregnancies, but I am still utterly unskilled when it comes to picking out the baby features, except in the most obvious views. ("OK, that is clearly the head, I can see the profile.") I had to wait patiently through the whole exam to finally have the technician declare that I was definitely expecting a boy.

When I picked M up from school an hour later, the first words out of her mouth were "Is the baby a boy or a girl?" I assured her that she was getting another brother, and she settled confidently back into her seat. "Well, yeah, that's what I wanted!" she reminded me.

I guess I need faith like a little child.

Comments

Abby said…
She cracks me up. And hooray and congratulations on your newest little boy!
VKMyers said…
That's so exciting! I'm so happy for you guys! Can't wait to find out what we are having!
Brooke said…
Yay! Good for you guys! Congratulations!

Popular Posts