Ode to New Furniture

Over the years we have gone through several couches or loveseats in our living room. All have been hand-me-downs; at first, new furniture was a dream far out of reach, and then it became something we would never dare to actually spend money on while our kids are in this destructive stage. Still, our most recent living room acquisitions-- a matched beige couch and loveseat-- were not holding up very well. They had been well used before we got them, and my artistic children had already adorned them with permanent marker (at the same time they decorated the hall walls and carpet.) Black marker daubed couches are not my favorite thing, but I could have lived with them longer, especially since I had a set of (undecorated) couch covers. However, the couches were also so saggy that it was getting hard to haul myself out of them. Not so great.

Saturday I got a phone call from my sister that just made my day. She was turning her living room into a home gym and she wanted to know if I wanted her living room set. Did I ever! So yesterday we went and picked everything up. Terence is a master at loading his pickup. We have a little 1998 Chevy S-10 and he loaded it with a full-sized sofa, loveseat, coffee table, and end table. In the end the back load was twice as tall as the truck itself. Not only that, but he managed to drive it all safely intact the 30 minutes from Camie's house to ours!!! I'm still in awe.

I'm also fortunate to have married a one-man furniture mover, so Terence unloaded all this furniture and set it up in our living room without any help from me at all. Especially since it was only 107 degrees outside. Needless to say, he was one sweaty, tired man when he was done, but I was a properly grateful wife.

In my opinion, the living room now looks fantastic! Granted, this is more very hand-me-down furniture, as my sister inherited it from my parents (who originally purchased it when I was still in elementary school.) However, the furniture is in near-pristine condition, and we have never had a room that looks so nice. Now only if it can stay this way. . . .

Comments

Abby said…
Quick! Take a picture before it gets destroyed!

So she has no living room now, only a gym in the middle of her house? How odd....
Brooke said…
That's great for you. We share your sentiments regarding furniture and children.
Anonymous said…
Congratulations! New old stuff! Verey fun!!
I also have experienced the one man mover-amazing!

Popular Posts