Politics, Politics

Terence and I really enjoy spouting off to each about politics, especially in a big election year like this. But while we've easily made up our minds about who we want to vote for on a national level, with local politics things are much harder to figure out. In the end, though, these are the people who will make a much bigger direct impact on our lives. Sure, it will matter a little who our next president is, but we are voting for the county sheriff this fall, and that will matter a lot more to the safety of our neighborhood than who the president is.

Terence always leaves researching the local stuff to me. I'm the one who struggles to read through the boring legalese of the propositions, the one who tries to figure out who would be decent for the Corporation Commission, and who we want for our state reps. Yet this is so incredibly frustrating! Finding information out about any of these people is next to impossible. Our county won't even send out some kind of pamphlet ahead of time so I can know who our options are, let alone anything about these people. My only clues are all the signs that everyone posts on the corners. Yet that only gives me a name to search on the internet, and often, I can't find anything out that is helpful. Local word of mouth? No help at all. No one else seems to know anything either, other than one lady at the gym who told me that the Florence School Board should all be re-elected because they are all doing such a good job. (Obviously, I have my doubts, or my daughter wouldn't go to a charter school. But in this case it's a moot point, because nobody is actually running against any of the current school board. Election by default.)

*Sigh* Our church leaders always counsel us to carefully look at our options and vote for the honest and upright candidates who seem like they would do a good job, but what do you do when you can't find out anything about them?

The only personal experience I have to go on is that one of the guys running for sheriff cut me off in his truck this morning before speeding off down the road. His resume and experience are impressive, but at least I know he doesn't believe that the traffic laws apply to him. That's something to go on. Other than that, I might just have to randomly choose names at our primary election in a week. Does that actually count as voting?

Comments

Abby said…
Don't any of these people at least have phone numbers or anything? Even my brother, who is as poor as a church mouse, has election information and a website that details what he stands for, etc. At the very least you could call these jerks up and ask for information. What are they going to say? No? "Fine, then I'm not voting for you and nobody I know will, either."
Heidi said…
Luckily, I came across a county GOP site today that lists most of the GOP candidates, and most of them at least posted a statement or a website. That should at least give me some idea for the primary, anyway. Though apparently we have no more than one Republican running for anything, so I don't know that the primary vote means anything anyway.

Popular Posts