The Resident Waterspout

B's been going through a few really delightful stages. She just moved out of a biting phase, which was mercifully brief. The last spurt was a few weeks ago-- she was angrily throwing a tantrum over something I had refused to let her have. When I turned my back on her and went on with making dinner, she got frustrated with the lack of attention she was getting from her screams. So she got up off the floor, stormed over to me, and promptly bit my backside (none too gently either.) After stoically marching her to her room, I couldn't help it-- I just about collapsed in laughter. J thought it was entertaining, too. "Just like Alex bites Marty in Madagascar!" Fortunately, B gave up on the biting after that.

Just recently she has discovered a brand new way of annoying the people all around her. It actually started as a way to get back at M when M bosses her around. She spits all over her. Since it so successfully provoked loud reactions from M (as you can imagine,) she has moved on to trying it in all kinds of situations and sometimes for no apparent reason other than the sheer fun of it. B quickly learned that if she took large swallows of water, these spitting expeditions were even more successful. Earlier this afternoon, it was M's backpack that became the unfortunate target for the spitting fountain. She managed to soak the whole back before I got her to stop.

Up until today, I had managed to avoid being the target of choice. This afternoon M had a dentist's appointment, so in the baking heat I loaded up all the kids for the short drive to the office. Amidst the loud complaining that the car was just too hot, B found her own solution. She luckily found a mostly empty water bottle on the seat next to her, probably M's school one. I guess she was just trying to cool herself down because most of it got all over herself. However, just as we neared the dentist, I was drenched with spitting of waterfall proportions. Good grief, that girl can spout!

I sincerely hope this phase will be as short as the biting one. Maybe, just maybe, that was the farewell salute from my three-year-old geyser.

Comments

Popular Posts