Movie Musings

The last couple of days we have been watching all of the Harry Potter movies over again. My kids are newly excited about Harry and so they have been requesting the first couple over and over (with some scene editing by me when necessary.) It's been awhile since I've seen the older movies, so I've been enjoying it too. I noticed tonight that my favorite HP movie so far would be Order of the Phoenix, followed by Prisoner of Azkaban. Oddly enough, as a die-hard fan of the books, these are the movies that bothered me the most when I saw them in the theater, since they don't follow the books quite as strictly as the others. (OK, Goblet of Fire was a heavily edited version of the book, too, but who could have fit that mammoth storyline into one 2 hour film?) Over time, though, these have been the movies that I have truly enjoyed the most.

It's not the first time that I've had this book/movie experience, when I originally am disappointed, only to enjoy it much more with time. When I saw the recent Pride & Prejudice with Keira Knightley, I was incredibly disappointed. It just didn't do justice to the book at all! Especially when the A&E miniseries was so fantastic. However, now I can appreciate and enjoy the newer version of the film in a way I never would have expected. It grew on me, I guess (though I still think the miniseries is the best.) I wonder if seeing Twilight this fall will be the same. My mom and sisters and I all have planned to go, a sort of girls' night out, only Terence wants to go too. Hmmm. GNO plus one spouse? My dad and my brothers-in-law would probably rather eat dirt than go see Twilight, so Terence would be the standout.

As a side note, I was definitely one of the disappointed HP fans with the news that they have moved Half-Blood Prince to next summer. Not because I can't bear to wait that long to see it, but because it would have been so much easier to get to see it while I was still pregnant, rather than when I have an infant. Curse you, WB!!!! Why didn't you consult ME before you moved that release date?

Comments

Popular Posts