Garden Weeks #5&6: Oh Yeah, I Have a Garden

I completely forgot to do a quick garden update last week. I'd like to blame it on Easter and General Conference and all that, but the truth is, I've been forgetting about my garden just a teensy bit (*gasp*). Not so much that everything has withered away and died for lack of attention or water. It's just that in the beginning I was out there all the time, and now that the plants are pretty much doing their own thing, there's little I have to do.

(Plenty of weeds for me to pull in the backyard, but I don't count that. Maybe by the time I'm forty we'll have cleared out the weed forest.)

Anyway, garden observations from the last two weeks: first, I got to eat my first two strawberries directly off a plant. Best strawberries I have ever tasted! Seriously better than any strawberry I've eaten from the store. Second, I think my composter is working. Maybe? All that stuff we've been dumping in the bin is turning into a brownish sludge. Obviously, something is decomposing, but I can't really see myself working this stuff into my garden soil. Terence says it will dry up a bit (he thinks). Who knows . . . this is all new territory for us. All I know for sure is that a compost bin breeds gnats in swarms. Somehow I don't remember the square foot garden guy mentioning that in his book.

Onward, ever onward! How long will it take until we get some tomatoes, I wonder?

Comments

Anonymous said…
Now I can't get that song out of my head...."Onward, ever onward"...missionary song. Good garden news.
Heidi said…
One of my favorite things in the MTC was when we would sing that hymn during "large group meetings," which was a couple thousand missionaries all belting it out. I got goosebumps every time.
Kaycee said…
I like that song too, I also started singing it. :o)
sounds like you are doing good with your garden. Better then me, I haven't done anything as far as a garden. Idon't know where to start. My yard isn't big and I don't really have any place to do one. So I thought I could do one at my parents, but then I wouldn't beable to take care of it.

Popular Posts