Tick Tock

Another week has zipped by. OK, people don't usually think of Thursday as the end of the week, but since my sister comes and cleans my house on Wednesday nights, Thursday is the day I'm most likely to get a chance to sit down and update my blog. So in my blogging life, weeks go from Thursday to Wednesday. Or something like that. . . .

So what has our family been up to? Here's a little snippet of our recent lives:

M has decided to write her own book (since that's what I spend so much time doing). She got excited by my book covers and so this week she's spent quite a bit of free time designing her own cover. I'm impressed! I know I couldn't draw a dragon using the Paint app. Obviously, she comes of a more computer-savvy generation than I did. She also made me a cute little card that read "Congratulations on being 4th place! Good job doing your best!" for the triathlon. What a little sweetheart.

J has been reading like crazy this week. It is his last week to fill up his 100 hour reading chart. If he makes it to 100 hours by tomorrow, he'll get to go to a really cool party the school puts on where the kids spend a day on inflatable water slides and squirting each other and basically getting drenched. The cool part for me has been sitting and listening to my six year old read so well. Hooray for excellent charter schools!

B has been worried about her mother turning into a pumpkin at night, so earlier this week I was getting quite a few late night visits from her to make sure I was OK. I'm to blame for this one-- I told my kids they have to go to bed on time because I turn into a pumpkin at 9 pm. I forgot that B might take that literally. On the upside, I gave her melatonin last night and she was out cold by 10 pm. Woohoo! I think I'll try giving it to her a little bit earlier and see if she will fall asleep at the normal bedtime.

K is continuing his reign of destruction by climbing onto the table and chucking off whatever happens to be sitting on it, be it dinner or homework or glass dishes (we've had a couple of broken dishes this week.) The only benefit of this is that I don't have to clear the table. The drawback, of course, is that I constantly have a gigantic mess on the kitchen floor.

Terence has been putting his electronics degree to use recently by rebuilding computers. He salvages whatever computers people don't want anymore and then plays around with them and replaces motherboards and stuff like that. (It's kind of beyond me.) So far he has got two computers up and running so it's going pretty well. If only he could spread the project out over a couple of weeks instead of staying up all night for several nights in a row! (It's no mystery where B got her night issues. Maybe I should be spiking Terence's dinner with melatonin.)

As for me, I'm currently stuck on a part of my story rewrite and that has been taking up all the free space in my brain this week. Have you ever seen the Will Ferrell movie Stranger than Fiction? Well, it's a truly strange movie, but this writer in the movie spends a good deal of the movie imagining her death in different ways over and over and over. She's trying to figure out how to kill her main character but just can't find the right way for it to happen. That's what I've been doing this week. Killing a character over and over in my head, trying to find the way that fits. I kind of feel like a murderer. Loving mom and wife by day, murderer by night. That's me, all right.

Well, that's our week in a nutshell. Just another ordinary but still extraordinary week of life. It's been a much better one than the last. Isn't being a mom great?

Comments

Ashlie Dalton said…
so, they do make melatonin in some form that kids can use it? i'm glad that it worked out for you. i hope it lasts and you won't have to give it to her for long!

also, glad that this week was a lot better than the previous week.
you're kids are adorable!
kristi said…
I'm glad the melatonin worked. Deanna said she had to tweak the dosage time for Christopher too.

Have you heard when the water party will be? I have a bad feeling it will be prior to J's cast coming off. I'm not adverse to putting a plastic bag on his arm but... do they set up on the concrete? If so I would fear him slipping.
Heidi said…
Ashlie-- I ended up with adult melatonin but I cut the pill in half and she is supposed to keep it under her tongue. I think that only last a few seconds before she's sucking on it, but it seemed to work anyway.

Kristi- Jared's newsletter said May 19th, so that would be just after the cast is off, right?

I imagine some of it is set up on the concrete, but not the waterslides and stuff. Marianne described a whole bunch of stations that they rotated through last year.
Stefanie said…
Tell me more about this sister that cleans your house. Does she have a business? Does she want some more business? I'm made that Brie's doing better with sleeping.
Heidi said…
Camie doesn't exactly have a cleaning business, but she does get paid to clean my house. My mom started paying her $200/month to clean my house back when I was on bed rest. Camie needed the money & I needed the help :-) We've kept it up since I've had Kyle because she still needs the money-- my contribution is that I drive out to her house once a week and give her daughter a free piano lesson.

As for wanting more business, she probably would, but I don't know that her schedule would work so well for you. She comes after she puts her kids to bed and cleans from like 8:30 to about 1 am. Doesn't bother me, but I can sleep through it all and usually my husband isn't home for most of it.
Kaycee said…
I like your post, it's nice to see what your cute kids are up to.
It's funny to read about the water party. It's seems too cold for a water party.
Heidi said…
Not too cold here. By mid May we will likely hit 100 degrees!

Popular Posts