The Kinder Debate

That's kinder as in "kindergarten," not as in "kindness." Though I guess it could be. Are you being kind to a child by keeping her from starting school for another year? That's the million dollar question floating around here. The decision's made, and there's no going back, but for some reason I sure seem to feel a lot of pressure on the subject. (And if my mother-in-law knew what we were doing with B, she'd only add to the pressure. Shhhh, don't tell!)

What on earth am I rambling about? Well, about our decision to keep B in preschool instead of sending her on to kindergarten next year. B has a late summer birthday, you see. Arizona state law has dictated a cutoff date for kindergarten; you have to be 5 before Sept. 1st to start school. (There is a loophole, but it requires paying a fee and having your kid take a test to prove he's up to the task. And even then, the absolute, no-way-around-it cutoff date is Dec. 31st.) Anyway, B makes the cutoff, but since school here starts before we've even hit the 110 degree stride, she would still be four years old while starting kindergarten. Since she is neither reading Plato yet, nor so socially advanced she organizes play dates for herself, it seemed silly to me to force her into school just yet. Especially since just getting her to enter her preschool classroom takes some major persuasion (or threats of no Barbie movies for a week.)

This is the third time we've had to make this decision. Chalk it up to impeccable timing. We did want to have our kids 2 years apart, after all; we just succeeded so well that we ended up with summer birthdays for three kids in a row. Every time we've made the same decision: hold the kid for another year. And every time I've had people questioning my sanity. (Especially my mother-in-law.) This year it was the school registration office who doubted my mental competence. They even called to offer me a spot for B in particular, and when I explained that I was not going to have her start this year, the registration lady was openly stunned. You'd think I'd announced that B was going to skip formal education altogether and run off with the circus.

With J & M both, I have spent hours upon hours helping in their classes. (I go to volunteer once a week at their school.) I have seen a good number of kindergartners now, and quite frankly, I have seen many young summer b-day children who have struggled A LOT. Now, that is not always the case. I know for a fact that J's friend Justin is doing just fine, and he fits into that summer category. But most of them have lagged behind their peers, both physically, academically, and socially. Especially socially. Now in M's 2nd grade class, those differences have, for the most part, disappeared. So those barely five-year-olds are not going to be permanently stunted for starting school as soon as possible. But Terence and I have made the joint decision not to put our children through a couple of very difficult years, just so I can get them out of the house earlier. Besides, the idea of B entering high school at 13 years old makes me outright nauseous. Anything to avoid that!

The good thing is, K's birthday is nowhere near the summer. So at least with one of our kids, there doesn't need to be any debate at all!

Comments

Stefanie said…
I have a late summer birthday. My parents put me in school after I had turned five. I think I did better than if I would have gone at 4. I really only noticed it when I was one of the first to turn 16(right before my soph. year) and when I started college at 19.
Regardless, parents sort of have a feeling about whats best for their kids. Its hard to example to others. I feel your pain as we are decide what kindergarten to send Hayley, too. We'll get started on Plato later this week:)
Abby said…
I had turned five a couple of weeks before starting kindergarten. My mom says I was up to the task academically, but socially I really struggled. She said she wishes she had held me back a year for my sake. I am so grateful that Peanut's birthday is just after the cutoff; he definitely would need an extra year no matter what. As for SweetPea, her birthday will be JUST before the cutoff--like DAYS before. I think we'll have to wait and see on her.

Anyway, I'm saying you're not crazy and you're not alone. Good on you for looking out for your kids instead of just getting rid of them.
kristi said…
Ug - hard decision. Justin (bday6/10) is so social that it was easy for me to decide - really didn't think about too much. He was born trying to keep up with Nic...so I sent him to Kinder.

When Nic (bday 7/20) had to go we were in CT and cut off was Dec. He was in the middle age of all his friends and there was no ques. However, after we moved out here and he hit Jr high and High school he is def. not at the social level of those in his grade level. He does great grade wise but social wise, if I knew we would move to AZ I would have waited.
But all you can do is just make the best decision you can now. And you will because you know her best!
Anonymous said…
I think you've made a wise decision, Heidi. Cindy did that w/my youngest grandchild. His BD is 8/31 so she held him back. It was really a smart decision. Now he is one of the smartest and great socially in his class, instead of the opposite. Listen to your own heart and ignore other critics.
Kaycee said…
hmmm..... I never thought about that. Abbey's birthday is August 30th. right at the cut off point. How will I know if she is ready to go. I know she is advanced as far as smarts go. (not to brag) but she is. I don't know about socially. I always planned on putting her in at that time, but I wonder now. I think parents usually know best, so go with what you think. Your a pro with kids.
mom said…
When you told me that you were not going to put Brie in kindergarten this year it took me a minute. she is so tall I often just think of her as being older than she is. As you reminded me that she would actually be starting school before she is 5 and knowing Brie, I agree-I can't imagine Brie excited to do her Kindergarten homework each day! Maybe next year :)
Vera said…
I have been through this several times and have a differing opinion. Just my two sense for what it is worth. I started school at 4 1/2 because my mother couldn't wait to get me out of the house, trouble maker that I was. Then I had 4 kids with birthdays in the summer - most were ready for school by five or just before. They had done home preschool the year previous. I sent all of them, but on the last one (child number 6) he was not reading fluently by the end of the year and the teacher recommended we hold him back. I struggled with this as I believe boys especially need a year away from home before heading off on a mission and this would take this away. I decided to have him repeat kindergarten. We moved a couple of years later and since 1st grade he has always been ahead of his class and bored for the most part. He hates that he's one of the oldest- luckily he has a great group of friends in his grade, but it reeks? havoc in church especially with changing at 12, 14, 16. Plus he will have a whole year of school after he turns 18. It has not been harmful academically, but my other children have done just as well in school and I find that by 2nd grade everyone ends up on a pretty even playing field. Sorry this is long, and I for one support each parent in making their own decision, but I wish I had not done it.

Popular Posts