Third Time Tri

Lessons from Saturday's triathlon:

1. When there are only ten participants, it's kind of nice. That way you can tell people "I placed 4th overall!" and they are in awe of your stupendous athletic ability.

2. Doing a race that starts at the gym where you work out means you get an automatic cheer section. It was very different to hear "Heidi's out of the pool!" or "Heidi's out on her bike!" from the race director or "Go Heidi!" from the girl who's timing you.

3. Just because they know your name, doesn't mean they know how to spell your name. All my race stickers showed my name as "Heidie."

4. When they have a practice bike to show you where the bike course goes, it might be a good idea to actually show up for it. I got lost at least twice on the bike loop, and since there were so few of us, I couldn't follow anyone. Once I even ended up on the wrong side of a deep irrigation ditch. I had to stop, get off the bike, and leap across the 3 foot wide ditch. It doesn't sound like far, but when you have to drag a mountain bike with you, it's not so easy. I barely made it, banging up my leg in the process. (Terence would have killed me if I had fallen in; I was riding his bike.)

5. Don't follow the riders ahead of you. They may be just as lost. At one point I stopped to check my course with a volunteer. She informed me of where to go, and then told me not to follow the three people ahead of me. They had missed where they were supposed to turn. (All three were wearing headphones and didn't hear her telling them where to go.)

6. Just because at the beginning of the race they promise you a water station halfway through the run, doesn't mean it will be there. I should have had something to drink while in my second transition!

7. It really makes a difference to have someone waiting at the finish line for you. Thanks, Mom and Dad, for cheering me through the race and welcoming me at the end!

This latest triathlon was definitely adventure but I loved doing it. Next one isn't until September, but I plan to keep right on training. It is such a motivating challenge to have these races to work toward!

Comments

Stefanie said…
I have told you how awesome it is that you do triathons lately? Cuz, I think it really cool. I didn't get a chance to ask you about it at church yesterday. I'm glad it went well.
Ashlie Dalton said…
i think it's so awesome that you're into this kind of stuff now. and i'm a little bit jealous (and amazed at how you have energy to do it with 4 kids anyway).
GREEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAT JOB!
Kaycee said…
YOU ROCK!!!!
I bet you are in such great shape! I am jealous of you too. Iwish I could do that. I guess I could if I was dedicated like you.
Vera said…
You look amazing, too! I wish I could even cosider looking like that. Keep up the great work it was good to see everyone at church.

Popular Posts