Garden Week #9: Persisting

Ahhh, I can get back to my life again. My story character is finally, irrevocably dead and he better stay that way. I ended up having a brainstorm of creativity I guess, and I wrote for several hours last night and for a couple more this morning. It feels like a great weight lifted off my shoulders. (Now if I can just keep going like this until I finish. Or maybe not. My family and house might feel a little neglected!)

As for the garden, I have really tried not to neglect it this week, regardless of any writing nonsense. All my plants got extra water this week, and it seemed to make a difference. The strawberries are perking back up and so is one of the cucumber plants. And though the tomato plants are not very tall still, I spied a green tomato yesterday, our very first sign of some actual fruitage. (Is that a word?)

Alas, one of our two cucumber plants croaked this week. We also lost a carrot because one of my inquisitive children wanted to check and see if it was done and pulled it up. Poor little thing was barely more than a skinny orange stub, not even big enough to nibble on. Now for those of you who have acres of vegetables growing the loss of two little plants may not be much, but for us, that was a significant portion of our remaining garden.

However, at least J's African daisy is growing like crazy. At least I think it's an African daisy (that's what J keeps telling me). The stick with its name disappeared long ago. It's got me a little worried because it looks like it might just grow right out of its square and take over the planter. Since we've lost so many seedlings it wouldn't be a problem, except that this flower is planted right in between our doing-just-fine strawberry plants. Hmm, I wonder which one of these monster growth plants will win out in the end?

Comments

Kaycee said…
Iam glad to hear your garden for the most part is holding up. Sounds like your getting more of your book done, that is great!

Popular Posts