Garden Weeks #10-12: Here, Sprouty Sprout

Well, it's been so long since I did a garden update that you would think all my plants have keeled over dead. Actually, things are going pretty well at the moment. The survivors are actually starting to show some signs that eventually we may have something to harvest, and I have a whole new crop of baby shoots (carrots, onions, and some kind of mystery plant). Granted, I don't know how long they'll survive. The little shoots that popped up from my second planting were eaten by something-- maybe our ever-present crickets-- so we are on the third try. We are now seriously behind every desert planting schedule I've ever seen, but this has been the coolest May I can remember out here, so maybe we'll luck out. Maybe that volcano erupting out in Iceland has messed up the atmosphere just enough for Phoenix to have a slighter cooler summer. Hey, I can dream, right?

I've also gotten around to taking a few more pictures of our progress, so I'll post those below. It's not exactly a teeming mass of thriving vegetables, but still, for someone who has never managed to successfully grow anything, I'm quite pleased with our progress!


B proudly pointed out to me that the sunflower is taller than her this morning. It isn't quite, but I suspect it will get there soon. Hooray for something that likes the desert!

We are having better luck with our flowers than our food. Those yellow flowers of J's are completely taking over the strawberries in front of them. Take that, you upstart berries!

Comments

Abby said…
I don't know why, but "some kind of mystery plant" made me laugh right out loud. Perhaps it's the fact that you planted it, yet you have no clue what it is. At least it'll be a fun surprise!
Heidi said…
Obviously I was having a very brain dead moment. I know I was the one who brought the seeds out, but I have no idea what I stuck in those squares. Guess we'll see in a month or two.
Anonymous said…
Your garden looks great. Nice work. It's so fun to see the results of your hard work. I'm impressed.
Kaycee said…
Your Garden is growing right along! exciting for you guys!
Lissy said…
That looks great! Much further along than ours. I am crossing my fingers for you to keep having cooler weather, but I hope it gets a little warmer here - I think our plants need it.

Popular Posts