Who Cares About Cooties?

From M after I ended a drag-out physical fight between her and J at bedtime tonight:

"J was trying to give us the cheese touch when we had our fingers crossed. You can't do that!"

What on earth is the cheese touch? Does anybody know? Apparently this is a common thing at her school. Not long ago I read The Chocolate Touch to my kids, so I thought they had taken it and twisted the story a bit. But then M told me the other day that though the chocolate touch (where anything you touch with your mouth turns into chocolate) is make believe, the cheese touch is real because her friend Joanna at school told her so. Then she proceeded to explain that so and so at school gave the cheese touch to somebody else, and everyone was trying to keep from getting it themselves.

I grew up in the world of cooties, but I guess cooties don't worry these kids one smidgen. The cheese touch does though. It's worth shoving each other to the ground, apparently.

Comments

Ashlie Dalton said…
ok so when i was on bed-rest a friend lent me a book called: diary of a wimpy kid. i think there was cheese touch in that... double check me though.
kristi said…
That is so funny!! I've never heard of the cheese touch. I'll have to ask Justin.
I used to laugh at my friend Tracy telling me how James and Kaleigh would have knock down fights. I always said that will never happen to me with 9 years difference between the boys.
Now she is laughing because I have found out it doesn't matter how many years separate siblings they still fight.
Heidi said…
Ashlie, if they talk about a cheese touch in Diary of a Wimpy Kid, that's got to be where it came from. Both my kids have read the books, and I know they are very popular with Marianne's class. I'm not sure what exactly it's supposed to be though, but obviously something very unpleasant!

Kristi- does Nic always win? We keep telling Marianne she won't always be the biggest and someday Jared will probably tower over her, but she doesn't believe us.
Ashlie Dalton said…
it's a slice of cheese that was left on the basketball court outside (probably dropped from someones food one day or something), and everyone is scared of touching it. one of the popular kids makes a nerd eat part of the cheese touch. basically, cheese touch is "cooties". ha!
kristi said…
No Nic doesn't always win. Justin is pretty scrappy and is good for a sneak attack. There new thing is who can jump out of a hiding place and scare each other the worst - drives me CRAZY!

There's 4 yrs between Kaleigh (oldest) and James and Tracy would gives James freebies when they were little - to be able to get her back without getting in trouble.

Now, James is almost as tall as her and gives as good as he gets!
Abby said…
The Cheese Touch. I really look forward to dealing with that myself, thank you.
Kaycee said…
haha! The cheese touch. That is funny. Never heard that one.

Popular Posts