180 Turn About

So last night was one of those nights where I seriously wondered what possessed me to try my hand at mothering.

But this morning was one of those times when I just had to smile for the sheer simple pleasure of it.

Once the kids were all more or less awake this morning, I gathered up three of them (couldn't rouse B for anything) and we went outside in search of a creature that was making this loud squawking, croaking noise. We had a terrific monsoon storm last night and everything was nice and dripping and fresh smelling outside (though it was extra humid). So there we were, a little huddle of four people tramping across the wet pavement with bare feet, chasing down an animal in the storm drain. We did eventually decide that whatever was making the noise was either hiding or stuck in the drain. (I think it was a large frog, though the kids insisted firmly that it was a duck.) After that we studied the gigantic rainbow arcing across the sky before chasing down a tiny little frog who was playing under our truck. (K especially liked that part.)

Then with no arguing or whining the kids went right back into the house for breakfast. Breakfast was relatively peaceful, for once. When it came time to load up everyone for the carpool run to school, even B was awake, dressed and calm. (OK, I had to dress the half-asleep zombie, but at least she wasn't crying.) There was no last minute dashing for forgotten things and no need to yell at my kids to get in the car.

Oh, it was heavenly! Maybe the kids got together and decided they'd cut me some slack after last night!

Comments

Kaycee said…
yay! I am so glad it was a easier happier day for you! I hope it last all day or even all weekend!!
Abby said…
Late Mother's Day gift? Be sure and remember this day for the next time they're awful.
mom said…
I second Abby--be sure to remember this next time they are awful....thanks for sharing the story---I can picture those sweet grandchildren of mine (sigh) looking for the duck :)

Popular Posts