Support Session

For the moment, I'm going to don my fiction writer's hat and pretend that you are my writer's support group, OK? (Because many of you who read this blog are my main supporters when it come to this book writing lark anyway.) All set? Alrighty then . . . .

First, a little venting:

What is going on in my real life inevitably colors what I'm writing in the fictional universe. That may seem kind of obvious, but at the moment it is posing some serious problems! Normally, it's kind of helpful-- I wrote several argument scenes for Andie (the main character in the two finished books) after having real-life disagreements with either my parents or my husband. A completely baffling and horrid situation between two of my roommates in college gave rise to a betrayal plot line. Having M completely altered the end of the first novel. But right now, I'm struggling to get a new novel flowing, and what is going on in my life? Nausea. And who on earth wants to read a story about feeling sick? I sure don't want to write about it. It's frustrating, and it just makes me want to bang my head against the wall.

OK, I feel better having complained a bit. I promise, I won't bug you guys with further moaning about my less-than-stellar stomach.

The other problem that is nagging at me is what to do with these nearly finished books. With some very generous help (thanks Pete and Amy!) I'm getting them all proofread and edited and generally spiffed up. Now the question is, what do I do with them? I've done some research into the publishing process and here as I see it are my options:

1. Try and find an agent that will represent me. This will cost me a fortune in postage and probably get me a gazillion rejection letters (and who likes to be rejected?) However, if I should actually catch the interest of a non-scam-artist agent, it is my best chance of actually selling my book to a publisher. In a best case scenario with this option, I could see my book in print in a couple of years. On the other hand, if I do go this route, and either book is picked up, they will probably expect me to be part of any publicity for the book. Meaning I could have to talk to people I don't know (yikes!!!) and possibly travel for weeks, leaving the family unable to function (double yikes!!!!)

2. Try to sell my book directly to a publisher. Possibly the book would get into print faster this way. This has all the cons above though, plus the added one of probably getting taken advantage of when it comes to the book contract. That's what agents are good for. Also, it's a terrible time to try and get published as an unknown author. Many of the major publishers are in financial deep water and not interested in taking risks.

3. Self-publish the books. Will cost me some but probably no different than the postage costs for options #1 and #2. This option will take an incredible amount of work from me to make the books look professional, and I'll never "hit it big" this way, but at least my family and friends could get nice, real copies of the books within a few months.

4. Just stick the manuscripts in a file and figure out what to do with them later. If I do anything at all. (This is Terence's favorite option.)

OK, my surrogate writer's support group! What would you do if you were me?

Comments

Kaycee said…
Oh man! I don't know. I need to ponder about this one for a moment. I don't know much on this subject.
Lissy said…
You are blazing new trails here! But if you are looking for opinions: I wouldn't just file it away if I were you. What an opportunity! You could help out your family AND add to the selection of good literature out there! This seems like a pretty personal decision - and you are the expert. I haven't read it, but if you really think it's good enough and not just a practice novel... I, personally, would read everything I could so as not to get swindled - and then try to get a publisher without an agent. I'd also pray about it a ton! No matter what - I'd gear up for the idea that if the book goes anywhere - you are probably going to be part of the publicity! Get some professional photos taken of yourself and write a short bio that makes you sound intriguing/like someone anyone would want for a friend. You could always self-publish if things don't work out down the road. Whatever you do...how amazing that you've written a complete book! (And you have 4 kids and make time to exercise!) You've got talent, my friend - and I wish you the best!
Amy said…
I think I have already told you this, but I'll add my opinion here: Try to get an agent, don't read the rejection letters, have them sent to my house and I filter the responses for you :)
Anonymous said…
i agree with Amy. They are too good to "file away". Have you checked into the LDS publishing places. When I go to the library, I always get the handouts that list LDS authors so I don't have to wade thru any foul language or sex. Your books are as good or better than many of them I've read, also.
Heidi said…
Thank you for being so encouraging!! I swing back and forth between "I know these books are good and somebody might want to publish them" and "What am I thinking? My books aren't that great. An editor would get fed up with it two pages in!"

My mom suggested that I just put the books out there-- it can't hurt to try, and then remind myself that it's really random chance if they get picked up anyway, not proof that my books are terrible if they don't. She compared it to burying my talent if I just file them away....

Still, I get near panicky at the thought of having to be the promoter of the book. Maybe I should be a ghostwriter and somebody else can do the talking! :-)
Lissy said…
That is a great idea by Amy - you should take her up on that! Don't let rejections get you down!
Abby said…
Man, I don't know. That's tough. I can't even come up with a credible plot, let alone think about publishing.

But I'm glad to hear I could help in at least ONE way. :)
Heidi said…
Yes, thank you very much, Abby! (Somebody had to get something good out of that.)

Popular Posts