Caught in the Maelstrom

Oh, dear.

That about sums up my afternoon. It's not even dinnertime yet, and I'm running out of disciplinary options. I don't know if it is just that going back to school that is making my kids act crazy or what. (Maybe the lack of sleep? I tried to keep them on a normal bedtime schedule the whole summer break, but they weren't getting up so early as they have to now.) Whatever it is, I'm about ready to start yanking handfuls of my hair from my head (just so I don't inflict bodily harm on my children). In desperation I went and took all of my daughters' beloved stuffed animals (including the pricey Build-a-Bear ones) and shoved them in a garbage bag, telling them maybe they could earn them back before I gave them away. For whatever reason, that put the fear of my wrath into J, who then actually got going on his own chores. But the girls????

Whatever, Mom. B did wail and whine that Zelala-- her horse-- was so sad and lonely until I banished her to her room to save my ravaged nerves. But are they tackling their chores? M making an attempt at her homework? Refraining from fighting with each other? No.

The other night during my "witching hour" (right about bedtime) I bawled to Terence on the phone that I am a crappy mom and I didn't want to do it anymore. Unless a miracle happens in the next couple of hours, I bet I'll feel the same way tonight too.

So now, while I have a few minutes of semi-peace before I head back into the fray, I need to make a game plan for tonight. This is usually when I call Terence and plead for his advice, but he's on riot duty at the capitol, so I can't bug him.

But nothing is coming to mind. Help!!!!

Comments

Kaycee said…
Gosh, I wish I had advice. You are more of a pro then I. I say get them in bed as soon as possible and relax. but that is easier said then done forsure.
Ashlie Dalton said…
sorry! that sounds awful. i still believe you are a wonderful mom.

i have come to realize that i am much better with the baby stage. cole is a handful and i always feel like a bad mom about something with him.

anyway, i guess i would just try to get them in bed- or at least in their rooms for awhile and do your thing...

sorry, i hope it gets better when they get in the swing of the new routine.
The Hatch's said…
We are going thru the same ordeals at our house too. I think it's the ages of our kids. (They pretty much are all the same) I was saying the same thing to Spencer the other night, and I often say that I am done too. Stick in there hopefully it will get better, and if it doesn't we can enter the mental hospital togeter. :)

Popular Posts