Random Musings

If I were really planning ahead, I'd probably be glad (like Brooke suggested) that the baby isn't coming yet. After all, a longer spread between Christmas and the baby's birthday could only be a good thing. Seeing as how my own birthday is in just a couple of days, I know the curse of having your birthday lumped together with Christmas, or usually, just plain forgotten.

So why am I still impatiently wishing this child would make his appearance already????

I guess it's mostly because I am huge and uncomfortable and tired of being pregnant. Also, I don't imagine an early January b-day is much better than a late December b-day. . . like my parents, if I could choose, I would take the extra tax deduction for this year if I could! Oh well. He seems to have his own opinion on the matter, and that does not include coming yet. Since my mom is planning a trip out of state on my actual due date, that's probably when he'll come!

On a completely different note, my dad got me a lengthy sci-fi novel for Christmas, and I finished it yesterday. It's called Matter by Iain M. Banks. I just thought I'd warn any of you who might happen to have the same taste in books as me-- don't bother reading this one!!! First of all, if I have ever read a book where the editor could have cut out about half the words, this is one. The book is nearly 600 pages long and it took me about 300 pages to figure out what was going on and about 500 pages in for the story to actually get moving. I like a little cultural background and all, but that was ridiculous! Plus, on the jarring edge of things, apparently this writer felt that the f-word is an essential part of vocabulary that people in the future will say as commonly as your typical valley girl might say "like." As the final kill-all for the story, unless your favorite character happens to be the sidekick servant, it ends on a terribly depressing note for everyone involved. I guess I just should be glad that the bad guys got wiped out as well as the good guys.

So I'm out of new material to read at the moment. However, Terence got me the soundtrack to the movie Stardust for Christmas so I have some new writing music! Hooray! So in this waiting-for-baby period I'm actually spending some time writing one of my own stories. If I can't find ones to read that meet my standards, I might as well write some!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Too bad about the book. I can't tolerate the 'f' word. I think you should make a short blog every day until the baby comes, then when we don't see anything from you we'll know what's happening. ha ha I'm wondering every day. Happy Birthday on the 31st! Almost a New Year's baby.
Kaycee said…
I agree with my grandma. I too keep wondering about you and the baby. when is the due date?

Do you go to the family reunions? I wonder if I have ever seen you there. Who are your parents?
Abby said…
Meh, 600 pages isn't too long. Try one like "Sarum" or "London." Did you already read Sarum? London is by the same guy. He also has one on Russia; I think it's called Russka or something.

Too bad you don't like historical fiction--I'd actually have some recommendations for you there.
Heidi said…
Kaycee- I think the last family reunion I went to was in 2004...the rest of my family goes though. My dad is Russ Leavitt (Barnum's son.) I'm hoping to be able to go to the next one! Maybe!

Abby- You referred Sarum to me back in college, and I did read it! Historical fiction's not bad, but I like the ones better where they stick with one group of characters. I get attached, and it seemed like he was always moving forward in time before I was ready. (Plus, you know I'm not complaining about 600 pages being too long!!! Only if 300 of those pages are incomprehesible.)

Popular Posts