Thoughts from the Bookworm

For those who know me well, it probably comes as no surprise that I've spent most of my seven weeks on bedrest reading. I've always been a voracious reader-- I was the kind of kid who would read nearly anything if it had a plot, and I'd even work my way through nonfiction of all kinds if I was desperate enough. (I remember reading ahead in my Social Studies textbooks just for something to read.)

I'm a little pickier now as an adult. I really can't stand to read sex scenes of any kind, and I have to be careful about the overall tone of the book. Since I can literally immerse myself in the world of the books I read, ones that are too depressing literally drag me down for days, sometimes even weeks. A couple of years ago my dad bought me the book Wicked (a story taking on the viewpoint of the Wicked Witch of the West.) Others who had seen the Broadway musical based on it highly recommended the story, but after reading the book, I could barely function for the next week. My mood was so dark and gloomy and nothing seemed to overcome it. That kind of experience makes me cautious, and as much as I love to read, I have to be really careful when trying out a new book, even if others with my standards recommend it highly. So often I end up reading the same novels over and over because I know they're "safe" for me. And once I find an author who tends to stick within my guidelines, I go on to read everything they've written.

Lately my two new authors have been Anne George and Bodie Thoene. Anne George wrote the Southern Sisters Mysteries, and I have been enjoying them thoroughly. They are lighthearted for mysteries, and the personalities of the two main characters are highly entertaining. Just what I need right now! The only disappointment is that Mrs. George died in 2001, and I have already read at least half of what she's written, so I'll soon have run through the whole series. Oh, well. Guess I'll just have to read them again!

The other author I've been reading skates the lines of what is acceptable for me. They are Christian novels, so certainly the morals don't offend me at all. The trouble is that they are historical novels, and I am reading about the pre-WWII life of Jews in Europe, especially in Nazi-dominated areas. OK, there is no way this could not be depressing. And they are written well enough that I am truly fighting to stay cheerful and unaffected by them. Still, the stories are having an effect. Not all bad. Every night my prayers have now included gratitude for the land I live in and requests for those who may be suffering around the world. I just can't believe that people could be so cruel to other people, even though I know the Holocaust certainly happened, and similar kinds of cruelty take place today.

I don't want to be so caught up in my own life that I am ever indifferent to the suffering of others just because my life is going all right. But I catch myself doing it all the time. Granted, I'm kind of limited in what I can do to serve other people right now. However, after reading these books I've decided to do the little I can to remember that the true spirit of Christmas is in serving other people. Every little bit helps to make our world better, right?

Comments

Kaycee said…
Those books sound good! I haven't read a book for soooo long! But back when I did, I loved it. I love to read books. If I find the right ones.
Anonymous said…
I personally thank you for introducing me to two new authors. It sounds like we have the same taste in books. I tend to fall asleep when I'm reading so I mainly listen to books on tape. I've gone through so many authors and hunger for another good one. At least once every two weeks I have to take a book back after barely starting it because of the content. I don't know why they don't rate them like they do the movies. I'd be much happier. But I'm going to try your two authors.
Thanks again.
Ashlie Dalton said…
I am the same way when it comes to depressing books, and I'm really an avid reader also. This past year I've read more depressing books than ever actually (just finished one last night even). The reason for this is because I'm in 2 book clubs so I often read other people's "pick". But even when it's my turn to choose I don't know which books are happy. Today I'm starting A Little Princess- that should be good I think (If it's anything like the movie). Anyway, if you ever come across happy, wholesome books please share! :)

Popular Posts