Trains in the Rain

I finally tested to the limit my ability to do stuff without going into labor!

Last night we made a family expedition to the Scottsdale Train Park. Terence's vacation started Sunday, so we planned with my parents and my sister Camie's family. The train park has one of those miniature steam engine trains that everyone can ride on, and at Christmas they decorate along the train tracks with all kinds of Christmas lights. Just the kind of thing my kids love, a real get-in-the-mood-for-Christmas kind of activity!

Now this is Phoenix, of course, so nobody really bothered to check the weather forecast. We just figured we'd bundle the kids up in coats and they should be able to handle the 50 degree temps just fine. However, on Monday we did hear some reports that it was supposed to rain. I cavalierly dismissed all of them. After all, it was mostly clear outside and this is the desert after all. I forgot to take into account the fact that we are having a much wetter winter than normal this year.

By evening it was really pouring. We loaded up the kids anyway, figuring that maybe it would stop by the time we got to the park. No such luck. And none of us had any idea...does the train still run in the rain? If this was Seattle, sure, but here they tend to actually cancel things when it gets wet.

But there was no reason to worry. We got there in time to ride the train, and we didn't even have to pay, since some of the light displays weren't working. The kids also got to ride the carousel for free and visit Santa. None were brave enough to sit on his lap, but M actually got a "Santa hug" and she was excited about that. It was great fun for the kiddos!

I did pretty well, but by the end of the trip I was contracting pretty badly. I think Terence had himself convinced we were going to be heading to the hospital last night. But I was stubborn...I really don't want to have the baby until after Christmas, so I took some of my meds and got off my feet. It took a little while, but they calmed down. Hang in there, baby! Just a few more days...

Merry Christmas, everyone! I hope you all have a wonderful holiday (filled with peace, not stress!)

Comments

VKMyers said…
It always seems the the weather forecasters are wrong when you change your plans, but if you keep your plans in place they turn out to be right. Glad you were able to have fun anyway...and that you were able to keep the baby from coming yet! Just a few more days.
Abby said…
I can't believe you've hung in there this long. Good job Heidi and baby!
Anonymous said…
Whew, glad you're still hanging in there....or should I say, the baby, is hanging in there. That sound fun regardless of the rain. You have a nice Christmas too, with no contractions.
Kaycee said…
Did you have the baby yet??

Popular Posts