Easing Back into Real Life

Yesterday I decided that even though my doctor wants me to stay on bedrest until Christmas Eve, I'm going to move on with my life a bit. I started that by delivering J's kindergarten application to the school. But I'd forgotten what it is like to go into public when you are as hugely pregnant as I am right now. First of all, I can only waddle slowly. No hurrying across the crosswalks at this point! Plus everyone has a comment about how big you are and wants to know if you are due to have the baby any day. I'm used to blending into the background, but so much for that.

Then, I did some laundry which only earned me a rebuke from my husband. You'd think he'd be glad for the help, but instead he was exasperated with me. See, Terence wants me to wait until at least the 18th to have the baby so he won't have to juggle his vacation time. Understandable, but it didn't put me into labor, so what's the big deal?

Finally, my mom and I went to see Twilight. It was nice to get out, and to get us in the mood it was actually raining here. Odd but appropriate, considering the movie. We both enjoyed it. I can't say that I was breathless with awe through the whole movie, but I think they did well enough with it, especially on such a low budget. Our theater was mostly empty, which was nice. But 30 minutes of previews!!!! And with the exception of the preview for the next Harry Potter, most of them were for the kind of movie I would never bother with. Apparently the baby didn't think much of them either because he spent the whole preview period frantically kicking me. Fortunately, once the movie started he settled down. I guess he finds vegetarian vampires soothing in comparison.

Tonight I plan to go to M's cottage fair/potluck at school. Terence will be working, so my mom is going to come help out. I have no doubt that if I tried to manage all three kids on my own at the school (with food set out, no less) I would soon find myself delivering the baby right there. I don't dare press my luck quite that far!

Comments

Ashlie Dalton said…
Wow, that's crazy that you're actually to the last days/weeks of your pregnancy! I bet you're ready. I still haven't seen the Twilight movie but hope to soon (as soon as Luke can watch Cole so I can go). Did you enjoy the book or movie better? I've heard both but mostly I've heard the book is better. I'm just finishing the last book.
by: Kim said…
I hope your plans go as expected and that you have a great delivery and a Very Merry Christmas. I am hoping to see Twilight this week so I will post when I do.
Kaycee said…
I bet it is so nice to get out and about!
you are almost done! woo hoo!
Heidi said…
Oh, yes it is so nice to be nearly done! With Twilight I liked the book better than the movie, but that is almost always the case with me anyway. Unless the book is a complete bore!

Popular Posts