Why You Should Be Nice to the Next Cop You Meet (Even if You Get a Ticket)

Police officers really have to put up with a lot of terrible crap. No other way to put it.

Last night Terence got called out to an accident shortly after midnight. Someone had run off the highway up past the lake, about an hour and a half away. I pitied the poor man as he stumbled around trying to pull his uniform back on and worried about him every time I had to get up to use the bathroom through the night. Still, in the back of mind a little voice always added, "Better him than me!" When Terence finally arrived home at 10am this morning, it was even easy for me to be nice, as if my hormonal bedrest-induced insanity had gone on vacation.

What a night he had!

The driver who ran off the road was almost certainly DUI, Terence told me. But by the time (2 hours after the accident) that Terence arrived on scene, the guy had mostly sobered up. However, Terence added that the man was still more than a little crazy. I guess the guy was an obnoxious jerk, and Terence being as tired as he was, barely kept his own temper in check. My poor husband even had the miserable experience of being kicked in the groin by the man while trying to maneuver him into the backseat of the patrol car. Then, on the way down the mountain, the repellent man proceeded to calmly unzip his pants and deliberately urinate all over the backseat of the patrol car.

By the time Terence made it home, he was still fuming about it all. Not only did he have to stay up all night and get treated like crap by the guy he had gone to help, now his patrol car stinks to high heaven.

It's times like these that I am glad to leave the business of providing for the family to Terence. I'll take being a hugely pregnant confined woman over a night like he had last night anytime!

Comments

Kaycee said…
Oh that is sad!
I am always nice to cops. I think people can be mean. no one can admit they have done wrong when they get a ticket, they blame it on the cop, even though it was their fault.
Anonymous said…
Thanks for enlightening us, Heidi. I will have a little more respect for cops now. I really do think theirs is one of the worst jobs. Scares me to think about it. Give him a "high five" from me!
VKMyers said…
It never ceases to amaze me how some people think that cops are their personal punching/kicking bag and deserve that they deserve to be treated so poorly. I wonder how they would feel if they showed up to work every day and encountered the same treatment... I don't think they'd be happy. But it's okay to do that to a cop. Pitiful. I'm grateful for people like Terrence who are willing to deal with that day in and day out to help keep us safe!
Abby said…
I don't think I would last as a cop because I would be hitting too many idiots. It takes a very special, patient type of person to be a good cop and Terence is definitely a very good cop. Thanks Terence!
Brooke said…
What a bummer night! I had no idea that was the life of an officer. I have much more respect for them now. I must say, however, that it did remind me a lot of being a mother. I mean, how many times have we been woken up in the middle of the night? How many times have we been kicked in the face, chest, groin, etc... by a defiant child who refuses to get in their car seat? And of course we've all been urinated on by our little "angels" numberous times. :)

Popular Posts