Let It Snow (Or Not!!!)

I have officially declared that it is now winter here in the desert.

This morning I had to cheat a bit from the bedrest (it's only another week or so...) and take M and J to school. So before the sun was up I loaded up all three kids. It rained last night and so it was really chilly outside-- probably in the 40's. Once we were in the car J wanted to know why it was so cold, and I gave the official declaration that it is cold because it's winter.

Behind me, M was surprised. She wanted to know when it suddenly became winter when we've hardly had fall. Can't blame her for that. Our trees in the backyard are still half green in the middle of their attempt to catch up with the abrupt season change. But it really doesn't get a whole lot more "wintery" here, so winter it is. M then grumbled a bit.

"If we live in a hot desert, why does it get cold?" she complained. I guess for a desert dwelling child this is freezing. Ah well, I'm satisfied with this degree of coldness. (She doesn't really remember living in Sanders, where it was regularly colder than Chicago. Seriously. Did you know places in Arizona got so cold? I didn't until I lived through it.)

Anyway, dropping M off at school was easy, but with J I had to get up and walk him in. It was harder than I thought, so by the time we made it home, all I wanted to do was get off my feet and let my body attempt to recover. B, in keeping with our new winter season, took advantage of my comparative immobility to make sure we had some snow.

When I tracked her down she was in my bathroom with Terence's brand-new can of shaving cream. She had covered a big section of the floor and had moved on to making piles of "snow" in my bathtub. Happy winter, everybody!

Comments

Ashlie Dalton said…
That's how it is in St. George (where we are from- and both of our parents still live there). I find it funny because when we went down in October my mom asked where Cole's coat was when it was like 68 degrees outside. Apparently they really don't know what coat weather is.
When we went down for Thanksgiving the trees were still green there too. Weird.
Abby said…
Well, at least it was the bathroom and not some place with carpet or something.

I knew it got cold in Arizona. You told me that in college. That means you just forgot.
Heidi said…
I think I must have gone to college in a previous life. I can't remember hardly anything from it now. (Except that Ben & Jerry's and Little Caesers while watching the X-Files was a highlight.)
Kaycee said…
last night my husband and I were out walking. It was snowing, and
32'. we only had on light jackets. Robby said. "well I think it's starting to get cold now. We should start wearing out coats."
VKMyers said…
I am totally loving this weather! Not sure I'll ever get used to brown winters, but at least it's not 110! And I'm sooo glad that Andrew hasn't ever seen snow so he doesn't decide we need any!!
Brooke said…
Your kids are so good at getting into things. I think they will be brilliant in whatever profession they choose in the future due to their great ambitions, creativity, and ability to think outside the box... or the shaving cream can.

Popular Posts