History in the Making

Two historic events, and I can't seem to get excited.

First, of course, was today's presidential inauguration. I had no idea until I walked into my mom's house and she suggested putting it on TV for the kids. Really, I've never paid attention to any inauguration, and since I don't really think there's anything terribly special about Obama taking office, it just didn't register for me. Let's save the accolades and Man of the Year nominations until he actually accomplishes something, hmmm?

The second one is that the Arizona Cardinals are going to the Superbowl. Now that may not seem momentous to you, but trust me, if you live in Arizona it is definitely historic. Nobody expected it, and there seems to be some hysterical euphoria about it in the valley. (Especially if you listen to ESPN radio, as I have to every time Terence is the one driving.) But once again, I am a party pooper. At least I can kind of dredge up a shred of interest in it. I do want the Cardinals to win, but I don't care enough to actually watch it. I'm not even sure when the Superbowl is, for that matter.

Besides, what does any of this matter compared to the miracle of a beautiful new baby in my life? Now that is a true historic event, and I confess, it is keeping all of my attention right now. Sorry, Mr. President. Sorry, Cardinals fans. I know it's tough to live without my personal enthusiasm, but that's just the way it's going to be.

Comments

Kaycee said…
I would have to agree with you. Not to thrilled about Obama getting in.
Send more pics of your little one.
Anonymous said…
Oh, Heidi, you make me laugh. How true. With my 2nd marriage, football was my LIFEf!! Now, I could care less. Can't stand it on the tv....too much noise. I would take a baby over most ANY historical event. And what a lot of hype over the election. It's just another president to me...let's see how HE does. I enjoyed your last blog about breastfeeding, also. I had the Kaycee problems (maybe that's where she inherited it from). I still nursed all five but it was difficult at times. I persevered.
Ashlie Dalton said…
I actually watched a little of the inauguration only because it seems kind of neat that we have a half black (right?) president. It just seems kind of crazy, and definitely historical.
But I agree that a baby takes the cake over any of those things anyway. How is he doing anyway?

Popular Posts