I Think I'm Afraid Now

Where is that nesting instinct now that I need it? I would really like to leave my house somewhat organized (clean laundry, dishes mostly done, the groceries we bought on Monday put away...), but I just can't seem to get up any energy for it. I dragged my way through some of the laundry yesterday, but I still have loads to go. Apparently I used up my frantic nesting energy earlier.

So it sounds like from Abby, Valerie & Kaycee that I should just expect to get an epidural with the induction. OK, I can live with that-- as long as it works!! Does an induced labor go faster though, with all those pitocin-crazy contractions? Or does labor just creep along even though you're having astronomical pain? With B it took me nearly 24 hours to get from 6 cm to the pushing stage, and the thought of doing that with contractions on a 12 pain level with an epidural that's not working is frightening indeed.

On another subject entirely, I read Shannon Hale's Austenland yesterday, and it was fantastic! Light, entertaining, witty and full of fun for a Jane Austen fan like me. I finally got to see The Dark Knight last night too, and that was an opposite experience. Well, I liked the movie well enough, but even having been forewarned that it was dark and violent, I found it, well, disturbingly dark and violent. Not exactly in keeping with my plan to ward off the depression and keep my mood upbeat!

Comments

VKMyers said…
My induction seemed to go pretty fast. I went in and got started on the pitocin at 12:15pm. I was only 1/2cm dialated, no contractions. So basically, I was experience absolutely no labor. I ended up pushing for an hour an a half and had Andrew at 12:45am. So it took me 12 1/2 hours to go from basically nothing to having the baby with pushing forever as well as it also being my first delivery which probably slowed it down some.

Where you are already starting to dialate and having contractions, I don't think it'll take a horribly long time. The pitocin will basically just make your contractions more productive so you move through labor more quickly.
Brooke said…
Well, that sounds scary and exciting all at the same time. I've never been induced so I can't give you any pointers. Although, I know that everyone's labors and inductions are different, so it may not matter anyway. I'd guess that since your body has aldready had contractions then it will take to the pitocin more readily.

As for Terence not getting any sleep, if he's anything like Russ, he could just sleep perfectly well in the chair beside you with all the bright lights, commotion, and dozens of people around, and you could just wake him up when it's time to push. That seems to work for us. :)
Kaycee said…
being induced makes it go way faster! With Abbey I was in labor for 18 hours, and with Jaden, I was induced and it was 7 hours. 7 hours from the time they put the iv in and when he was out. It would have been quicker if he wasn't sunny side up. This being your 4th, plus already being dialated and having contractions, I will be surprised if you take very long. Pitocin speeds up the process with stronger more frequent contractions.
Abby said…
Well, just because the pitocin speeds up the contractions doesn't mean they're always that much more effective. The first time my labor was 12 hours starting from the time they stuck me with the needle. They told me the 2nd time around it should be half of that. And yet, because Peanut refused to move, it was again, a 12 hour labor from start to finish. If we get pregnant again, and I know I'll be induced again because of my history, it BETTER go quicker that time around or some people are gonna be feelin' the pain right along with me.

Anyway, good luck. I hope this one's quick for you!
Anonymous said…
It usually makes you go faster. Not always. But almost always.

Popular Posts