No Rest for the Weary

What a couple of days!

Of course, I know that having a new baby at home means all kinds of adjustments. And in some ways it has been easier than when I brought home any of the other babies. But still, just when you think that you pretty much know what to expect, life teaches you differently.

Some of you already know this, but with my previous babies I wasn't able to breastfeed. My body just didn't produce the milk. With M and J, I gave it a shot for a while, but by the time I had B, I had given up on the whole process and started right off with formula. That's what I did with K, too. But apparently, by my fourth baby, my breasts have figured out that they have to actually do something!!!!

I had NO IDEA how much engorgement hurts. The other night I woke up in excruciating pain and could not figure out what was wrong. (Remember, I've never been through this before.) It was really especially annoying because no matter what I could not get back to sleep, and K was sleeping just beautifully. I spent two hours awake in the middle of the night while my baby was sleeping. That's just wrong.

Anyway, I'm still continuing the formula with K. At this point I am thoroughly comfortable with bottle feeding and not willing to switch. I get too much sleep this way-- especially since Terence always takes a least one feeding a night. Just don't report me to La Leche League! (I feel guilty enough as it is.)

Comments

Abby said…
I don't blame you about the bottle feeding. Neither of my kids liked breastfeeding at all, or it nearly killed them. So, you know, I think I may be done with that for eternity.
Kaycee said…
Oh man! I know how you feel with engorment. It hurts soooooo bad!!! I couldn't even move. I was stuck in bed and had to have Robby lift and hold my boobs as I so carefully walked to the bathroom to try and squeeze out the milk. No luck. I had to walk my HUGE boobs (they went from a DD a FFF) to the car and drive bra less to the store to buy a pump and a new bra. Abbey didn't breast feed very well. I had the milk, just I didn't have nipples! But I tried for 2 weeks. The hardest 2 weeks of my life!! Lots of frustration, and disapointment. Then after 2 long weeks, I gave up and pumped for 2 months until I dried up. But I too felt guilty. With Jaden I had the same problem. I tried for a few days and when my nipples bled and almost fell off, I gave up and bottle fed. So with my next I will try in the hospital and if it doesn't work, I wont mess with it any longer.
Any way, I am rambling. But I hope you get some sleep, good luck with your boobs and have fun with your lil one.
Ashlie Dalton said…
Nursing is so difficult! I had this strange idea that the whole thing would be magical and easy as pie. HA! For the first week I used a nipple shield- until Cole nearly starved to death. Then pumped for 5 months.... yes, 5 months! My milk dried up twice during pumping and I went on some prescription to help get it back... when that didn't work I went to the health food store and bought some herbal supplements. Anyway... that had to have been the longest 5 months of my life.
I'm sorry you were up in the night while your babe slept! Good luck with whatever you decide to do milk wise. And I hope you can catch up on some much needed sleep!
Sorry about the novel
Brooke said…
Ouch! THat does kill! Just don't let any ducts get clogged or you may get mastitis and then you'll get to see how painful and terrible breastfeeding REALLY can be, along with fever, chills, and body aches. That is the WORST! I hope you never have to experience it! With all that negative stuff said though, I have enjoyed nursing for as long as I can just because I feel like it's good for both of us. Actually, maybe "enjoy" is too strong of a word, it's more like "endure". I really don't enjoy it either. It's dang hard (literally) and painful!!

Popular Posts