Family Phobias

Are phobias contagious, or maybe genetic?

My friend Abby argues this point here using her daughter as an example, but I never could see it in any of my own kids, so I figured I was doing a great job as a parent at not passing on my own insanity.

What insanity, you ask? Well, I happen to have two little personal traits that can be defined as craziness. I have fairly acute claustrophobia, as well as a mortal fear of talking to people on the phone. At least claustrophobia is kind of normal . . . well, common enough that they have a name for it and people know what it is. As for the phone thing, if it has a name, I don't have a clue what it is. All I know is that having to make a phone call (especially to a stranger) can make me have a full-blown panic attack. During my short tenure as a receptionist after my mission, answering the phone was nearly as bad. I would have to pray for help frequently to tackle the five lines ringing at once without bolting for the door.

However, none of my kids has shown any alarming tendencies in this area. They've already had the courage to call 911 (complete strangers) for no reason, and they don't mind at least listening to people on the phone (though they haven't yet figured out that nodding in response to phone questions doesn't exactly cut it.) They revel in the chance to ride in an elevator, just like we're on an amusement park ride, whereas I will walk up ten flights of stairs to avoid it.

Ah, if only I were the only parental influence though.

Terence's particular phobia involves lightning. The man is terrified of getting struck. In San Diego this meant nothing, as thunderstorms were about as common as snowstorms. Here in Phoenix though, thunderstorms are an everyday afternoon occurrence during monsoon season. I think Terence was hugely relieved to make through yet another monsoon season without the lightning attacking him. But last Sunday we had an odd out-of-season thunderstorm after church, just when we were driving up to my parents' house for dinner. That Terence would be unnerved by it was to be expected. I kindly refrained from teasing him, at least as much as he doesn't tease me about the phone phobia.

However, we soon had a car full of panicky kids. Where on earth did this come from??? I have never, ever shown any fear of lightning. For me, a thunderstorm is pleasant entertainment. And they've hardly ever seen their dad's fear in action because usually he is at work when the storms strike. So . . . picked up by osmosis? Or by chromosomes?

Comments

Abby said…
It could also just be a fear of the unknown. Plus, kids can sense stress. If they know big, tough dad is freaked, something's wrong.

You're not the only one with a phone phobia. Google it and I think you'll find a lot of friends in this.
by: Kim said…
I think some phobias are inherited. I am really afraid of heights even like a step ladder. But apparently that one is not inherited since none of my kids have a problem with it. But my Claustrophobia defenitly came from my dads side he is claustrophobic. I too would rather take the stairs instead of the elevator.
Kaycee said…
I think phobia's are mostly inherited. I am just guessing. I have lots and lots of phobia's! too many too name. But my grandpa has the same ones I do. My cousin Ashlie has a lot of the same phobia's as my grandpa and I do. My daughter at only age 2 is sadley followeing in my foot steps.
Ashlie Dalton said…
Hmmm....very interesting. I think phobias can be inherited or learned. I know my family.. mostly my grandpa, has a lot of phobias. But I can see some of them in my mom, aunt, and some uncles as well. But I have some weird ones that I didn't used to have as a child which makes me believe some of mine are probably learned.
You really have me thinking though, I might make a post about this as well.
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by the author.

Popular Posts