Love/Hate Relationship

Either it's one or the other. One day I don't see how I could live without it and the next I want to throw it out the window. I'm speaking, of course, of my relationship with the computer. Sometimes the computer is my absolute best friend. It allows me to connect with other adults in a way that my phone phobia doesn't allow. It helps me get my chores done (like bill paying) and enjoy some downtime. When I'm in the obsessive story-writing mode, I spend more time with my computer than I do with my husband. (Well, especially since he has to work....)

But then come the days when I curse my dependence on this technological terror. One of those days came last Friday. I was in the middle of my bi-monthly bill paying session. Terence has left this part of the finances to me, and I have a nice little organized system to make sure that
I don't forget anything. (Believe me, since I've had kids my memory has been shot. This plays havoc with remembering which bills have been paid.)

Anyway, right in the middle of my perfectionistic little checklist, I managed to pick up a virus. Or several. It downloaded software that then proceeded to turn off my firewall and disable all my spyware/antivirus programs. Not that my antivirus stuff was up-to-date, but still! It created one horrific nightmare. Trying to re-download the same programs didn't work, because my nice new malware programs blocked everything I was trying to reinstall.

Ugh, ugh, ugh. Why do I need a computer again???? I wanted to consign it to the junk heap. Since I only have dial-up internet, it took me literally hours to find out that my downloads were not working. And then countless more hours until I had found new software to download to clean up the mess. All the time I kept wondering if it was really worth it. It's a good thing I don't exactly have a lot to do right now.

Anyway, my computer seems to be clean and running like it's supposed to at the moment. (Except that I cannot manage to post comments on your blog, Pete. No idea why, but it freezes my computer every time.) So now I can go back to loving my computer once more.

Then again, maybe I should take a break. It's Terence's day off, and he might just get jealous!

Comments

Kaycee said…
Oh, wow! What a headache!
VKMyers said…
I can totally sympathize with you on the love/hate with the computer. Our good computer kicked the bucket over the summer so we are using and old backup computer now...that freezes up at least three to four times a day and ususally at the most inopportune times.
Anonymous said…
I ditto all you said. I just got a new computer 2 months ago and ?#! what I went thru before. One problem after another. Sorry you can't comment but I'll live thru it! LOL I noticed you're reading Maeve Binchy. I've read all her books and she's one of my favs. I missed your "Formal Family" blog before so just noticed it and commented also.

Popular Posts