Improvising for Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving on a carb-restricted diet.

That should say it all. I just couldn't look forward to Thanksgiving quite like I wanted because I knew I would be limited to 45 measly grams of carbs, thanks to the gestational diabetes. Have you ever realized how many traditional, yummy Thanksgiving dishes are just loaded with carbs? I'd never even stopped to think about, ever, before this week.

Mashed potatoes, stuffing, dinner rolls, sweet potatoes, cheesy potatoes, green bean casserole, cranberry sauce, strawberry Martinelli's . . . all the standard fare we cook up for a Thanksgiving feast at my parents' house was going to be strictly limited for me. Not counting the pies. At least I could eat all the ham, turkey and gravy I wanted, right?

I tried to just be grateful that I was going to get out of my house and spend the day on my parents' couch instead of my own. However, it ended up being better than I expected. I had to really prioritize which things I wanted to eat the most and accept very tiny servings, but in the end I was probably the only one in the family who was not groaning and clutching my stomach for the next couple hours. I had just enough of a taste of everything (except the Martinelli's) to feel like I did get to eat a Thanksgiving dinner after all.

Of course, Thanksgiving wouldn't be complete in my book without pie, and we had four different pies, ice cream, and a German chocolate cake to tempt me for dessert. Since we ate the official meal fairly early, I used my 45 dinner carbs to get a small taste of almost every single dessert. OK, so that was probably cheating. As long as nobody tells my doctor on me, it should be fine, right?

Comments

Anonymous said…
Sounds like you guys had a great Thanksgiving. I would feel so deprived if couldn't have my mashed potatoes and gravy. The dessert is usually my least fav. I'm glad you were able to eat a little of it all.
I hope you get off that bedrest soooooon and your baby comes that soon too. Good luck! We are thinking of you!
Kaycee said…
That would be hard! But it sounds like it turned out ok. will power!
Ashlie Dalton said…
At least you got some pie! It really is pretty crazy when you add up all those calories and everything else in a Thanksgiving meal. I bet I came home 5 lbs heavier... ugh.
Abby said…
I bet you'll be fine.

Of course T-Day dinner is nothing but carbs! That's why it's so delicious! Poor heidiness. I'm sorry it wasn't as tasty for you. Next year though....
VKMyers said…
Glad that you got to sample a little bit of everything. Even more that you got to get out of the house for a little while.

Popular Posts