Just Consider Me a Recruiter

Last year I signed up to index census names for the LDS FamilySearch site. I've been the one who has worked on Terence's family history, and at this point I'm kind of stuck. It didn't take long before I ran into some thick brick walls trying to trace his roots. (Anyone who has tried to research a line into slavery knows what a frustrating thing this can be.) So when I learned they were looking for indexers that could work at home and at their own pace, I jumped right on board. I could put my census-reading skills into action.

Today I officially indexed my 11,000th name!

Now there are some other hard-core indexers out there who are probably now into the hundreds of thousands, but for a mom with 3 young kids and a crazy life (who also finished a novel during this time,) I'm very proud of my year's work. But after several weeks now of working on the 1916 Canadian Census, I have come to the conclusion that French names are just impossible. You would think that the occasional Russian or Ukrainian would stump me more, but these people seemed to sensibly change their names into something pronounceable when they emigrated. Ah, well, I will have my revenge when I get to index the Southwest or Mexico. I can manage the Spanish.

For anyone else who is interested in taking up the indexing challenge, visit the FamilySearch Indexing site. (Especially if you are feeling guilty because you never do any family history! It's a way to get involved even if your own line has been researched back to Adam.)

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hey, way to go, Heidi! I've been indexing for 1 1/2 years. To date I've indexed 8,050 names and arbitrated 25,000 records. I love doing that detail work. Mine was a ward calling. I laid off for 9 mo's this year and just got back going a month ago. YOU GO GIRL!
Brooke said…
That's great. Congratulations! I have plenty of work to do on my family since no one has done any work yet. It's a very rewarding work to be involved in.
Kaycee said…
wow! That is awesome! Keep the great work!!!

Popular Posts